Skimmer sinking. Neighbors retaining wall fell.

So I had one masonary come for an estimate (best I could do). Estimates $5k to build a retaining wall on my property by lifting the pavers digging down and then redoing the pavers. Saying this will give me another 10 years on the pool. This doesn’t lift the skimmer or completely solve the problem just slows it down.
Thoughts?

So if they are just going to stack a block wall on top of the hill it doesn't sound like it would help at all. Thats kind of what it sounds like since the bottom of the slope is on your neighbors property.

So I had one masonary come for an estimate (best I could do). Estimates $5k to build a retaining wall on my property by lifting the pavers digging down and then redoing the pavers. Saying this will give me another 10 years on the pool. This doesn’t lift the skimmer or completely solve the problem just slows it down.
Thoughts?

Can you give a estimate of how hight you pool deck is from the bottom of the retaining wall?

How deep is the pool?

How high did the Mason say his proposed wall would be?

Without more pics and details on elevation changes and distances of wall and slope from pool as well as the angle of the slope above the wall it is simply all guess work at this point.

With that said, my guess would be the retaining wall failed from poor design and build and the cause was root intrusion . If the wall collapsing caused the pool to sink then the part of the pool closest to the wall would be the first to sink. That is not what I see in the pics. It looks like the settlement is around the skimmer (which would indicate a possible leak) and that does not seem to be the closest part of the pool to the wall. My suspicion would be the pool wall was set on unstable material to begin with and the pool developed a leak that accelerated the undermining.

Can you tell if the liner is pushed in - in that area?

Thoughts?
In my opinion, it's a big waste of time and money.

You need a real, certified, licensed professional engineer to do a proper survey, soil samples and then work up a proper design.

Reactions: duade and borjis
Estimates $5k to build a retaining wall on my property by lifting the pavers digging down and then redoing the pavers.
It seems that a critical step is missing?

Dig down and then redoing the pavers?

Where is the description of an actual wall being installed?

Dig down to where? 1 foot? 20 feet?

What is the proposed length of the wall?

What exactly will the wall be made of?

Is the person in any way qualified to design and/or install a support structure like this?

You have both vertical and horizontal forces that have to be addressed.

Stacking up some cinderblocks isn't going to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poolsnotmygame
So if they are just going to stack a block wall on top of the hill it doesn't sound like it would help at all. Thats kind of what it sounds like since the bottom of the slope is on your neighbors property.
No they were going to put a wall on my property between the pool and the neighbors retaining wall.

It seems that a critical step is missing?

Dig down and then redoing the pavers?

Where is the description of an actual wall being installed?

Dig down to where? 1 foot? 20 feet?

What exactly will the wall be made of?

Is the person in any way qualified to design and/or install a support structure like this?
Honestly, you’re right. I think this is not the way to go. It’s the best step toward a fix I get going during the time tho. Im still nagging pool contractors and hoping to find someone. I think my next step is a land surveyor, maybe they won’t be as busy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To me, 5k would be a deposit just to get materials on site to start. The average mason or landscaper doesnt even know how a liner pool is built so be careful and get detailed proposals

How high a wall and how long

one other question.
I finally got a pool guy to take a look. Told me to get the retaining wall fixed, that’s the problem. Once that’s fixed he’ll fix the pool for 20-30k.
My question: for that money, would I be able to just get a new pool put in? What’s the point of fixing this one for that money when I could just get the whole thing redone and redesigned? Is it an option?

Reactions: Snoobug
My question: for that money, would I be able to just get a new pool put in?
Probably not. Get some quotes.

To do everything right, you need a qualified, licensed engineer.

The retaining wall is going to be expensive to do correctly as will getting the pool fixed correctly.

I don't see any cheap or easy fixes for this.

For anyone giving you quotes, make sure that the quotes are very detailed in what they will do and what guarantees they provide.

I wouldn't accept any vague quotes that just give a price without giving detailed plans and blueprints certified by an engineer.

Anything less and you're probably just going to waste a bunch of time and money and not accomplish anything worthwhile.

Probably not. Get some quotes.

To do everything right, you need a qualified, licensed engineer.

The retaining wall is going to be expensive to do correctly as will getting the pool fixed correctly.

I don't see any cheap or easy fixes for this.

For anyone giving you quotes, make sure that the quotes are very detailed in what they will do and what guarantees they provide.

I wouldn't accept any vague quotes that just give a price without giving detailed plans and blueprints certified by an engineer.

Anything less and you're probably just going to waste a bunch of time and money and not accomplish anything worthwhile.
Thanks. We’re talking to lawyers to go after the previous homeowners. In that case I’m not worried about money. I’m just considering the fact that the pool was put in for $18k. To fix this one problem I’m looking at $30k. I’m just looking to get a modernized and maybe nicer looking backyard if I’m already destroying it just to raise the skimmer. Seems like more work to raise the skimmer than to demolish and rebuilt. I figured having had the pool there to begin with maybe I could make this better for me in the end. I dont know if that makes much sense.
Thanks for the reply/concern. It’s tough getting the right people to come out but I’m
Working at it.

Reactions: JamesW and Apsuhead
Ok, sorry that you’re going through this. Thanks for keeping us updated. It’s a complicated situation.

You’re just going to have to find good contractors that you like and trust to do the right thing, and that’s never easy.

Hopefully, you can find a qualified contractor that will do the work correctly for a fair price.

Reactions: Poolsnotmygame
I think you are missing to big picture here. You bought a house based on them selling a house with a pool and no material defects. That’s fraud. It’s not up to you to resolve it- it’s up to them. That home with the damaged pool disclosed would not have sold for Anywhere near what you paid-guaranteed. So , in essence, they stole from you.

call your lawyer now. Right now. Not after you think it might be repairable cheaply or not. Not after you determine why it failed. Why it failed is immaterial to the issue. They lied and covered a substantial know defect and are now liable for damages To make it right. Once they are on notice, then you can go about establishing the whys and how much. Even if it’s the neighbors fault, it happened before You bought the propertymso they would need to sue the neighbor Not you.

The lawyer will guide you through the steps needed to gather the evidence to prove in court they knew. They will also determine the sellers ability to pay. Once those are known, they can provide the possible range of options for you to consider (fix it yourself and place a lien on their new home, void the sales agreement and move out, attach their wages, etc). BTW if itmcan be proved that their RE knew, they will lose their license too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.