skimmer screws turn black

roomruler

Jul 5, 2019
Winnipeg
Hi folks,

Got some issues here. I changed my skimmer face plate as well as all the screws when I opened the pool this year.
Today I noticed all the screws below water turned black (not like rust, but smooth black)! It really confuses me and I hope someone can share some insight here.
WeChat Image_20220611184439.jpg

Here are some additional points.
1. My pool is NOT-salted. And water chemical should be fine since I just got it tested in a pool store a week ago.
2. Other stainless steel parts (stairs, return screws) look fine now.
3. It never happened in the past 5 years (since I moved in).
4. I checked the bonding at the equipment pad. They are connected well but the copper turns greenish. I am not sure if this is the issue. I do not quite get the idea that the bonding issue will lead to black screws? Can someone elaborate on it? And also if this is the case, why only the screws in the skimmer (new screws though)??
5. The screws were bought from a decent pool store, Jacuzzi Branded, specifically for this skimmer model. I think the stainless steel quality should be fine.
6. I added CYA last week, using the sock method in the skimmer. But I doubt this is the cause since I did the same thing in previous seasons.

Really appreciate any input!

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the information!
Then I guess I don't need to worry too much.

But I am just wondering why it only happens to my skimmer screws, not return screws?
Also, my old skimmer screws were not black, why did this just happen to the new one? likely due to the CYA I put in the skimmer a couple of days ago?

I doubt it is due to any chemicals you added.

More likely due to the batch of stainless steel screw metallurgy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.