Skimmer on Tanning Ledge

et247

Jun 23, 2012
We are in the design stages for our pool and one of the bids came back with a skimmer on the tanning shelf. The tanning shelf is probably going to be 8-10 inches deep and I wasn't sure if that is deep enough for a skimmer.

We are in the design stages for our pool and one of the bids came back with a skimmer on the tanning shelf. The tanning shelf is probably going to be 8-10 inches deep and I wasn't sure if that is deep enough for a skimmer.

Which way are the prevailing winds? I would not do that unless the prevailing winds would clearly be pushing stuff into that area.

Is the tanning ledge the full length of that end of the pool?

Can you post a diagram of your pool design?

E,

Skimmers only need about 6" or so.. but... I would want my skimmers to be at at 90 degrees with one another.. So instead of being on the opposite wall, I'd like to see it on an adjacent wall at the other end of the pool.

If it is on the tanning deck you can not have an equalizer pipe below it,,,

The thing I would want to make sure of is that both skimmers are home run to the equipment pad with an individual valve for each one and a separate valve that is run to the main drain.. You do not want your main drain plumbed into the bottom of a skimmer.

I don't see this as a major issue one way or the other..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: aasoe
With that design you don't have many choices for skimmer locations. They will not work under a sheer descent and that eliminates one whole side of the pool.

I might consider putting that skimmer near the step to the right of the light. The water flowing from the sheer descents are going to push water towards that opposite wall. And I would move the return by the step up towards the middle of the tanning shelf.

Reactions: aasoe
If I move the skimmer on the right to the bottom near the light, should I move the skimmer on the left up towards the wall with the waterfalls?

I thought about that. I would move that skimmer a bit more away from the bench but not more then halfway up the wall. You don't want that skimmer being close to the sheer descents and creating a circuit for the water to flow from the descent directly into the skimmer and blocking the flow of water from the rest of the pool getting pulled into the skimmer.

I wasn't that concerned with the skimmer being too close to the waterfalls since they will not be running most of the time. We are going to either have a VS pump with a valve to direct flow to the waterfall or they'll be on a separate pump so we'll only run them occasionally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would leave the skimmer on the ledge and have it a little closer to the stairs. Make sure to have all your return eyeballs pointing left to make the water swirl clockwise in the pool, and they will work great. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.