Skimmer Not Suctioning

Umarethani

Jun 4, 2021
Suffolk county New York
Hi!
Just opened the pool up a few days ago.
For the first few hours, the jet runners were running as they normally do and the skimmers were suctioning and doing their thing (like when I open the skimmer cover, i can see water flowing and suctioning.
Now, the jet runners are barely running even with the pool on. It seems like they are off, I did clean up some DE from the skimmer basket and some flow has returned BUT the skimmer is still not doing its suctioning thing :(((
What do I do??

What does your filter pressure look like? Have you done a backwash yet to see fi that helps? Curious to know what your water chemistry looks like.

Also be sure to update your signature. Without that info we're kind of in the dark behind our computer screens.

Filter pressure says 5 psi. I did a backwash and then added DE. Today some of the DE came out as solid chunks from the skimmer end and I see some white stuff (maybe DE) floating on top of the water. Also, water chemistry is terrible atm. I added like 6 gallons of liquid chlorine, but it just cleared up the water a bit. But like I said the filter and skimmer seemed to be only working 3-4 hours after the pool guy left. Then it was as if the jets weren't really running and literally no suction at the skimmer end.

And my b, I shall update mi signature. Its a 40,000 gallon inground pool with a Hayward filter

Hey! Welcome back!

You likely have algae that is being killed by the chlorine and clogging up the filter. This is a common problem every spring. If your water is not clear, the most likely culprit is algae.

Do you have your own test kit? Test Kits Compared If not get one on order. Now.

If you have a test kit, read up on the SLAM process and get it started, Post Haste! SLAM Process

If you do not have a test kit, order it. Download PoolMath and use it to add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily until you get your test kit (you will need test kit to SLAM).

If you want inspiration:

is that also just a algae issue?
Very possible. That's why we really need to see some water test results. But everything you are describing sounds like a post-winter opening algae bloom. It doesn't have to be green water. Clear is just as bad. Good flow followed by low flow 30 minutes after a backwash sounds like an algae bloom which requires the SLAM Process.

Oh WOW! That sounds a bit relieving.
Okay so I cleaned out the filter just now, put it back in and flow is somewhat normal.
Going out to get chlorine right now and do the whole SLAM process tonight. Is that too late before the whole filter clogs again? And if it does slow down to zero speed by tonight, what do I do? Do I just proceed to do the SLAM or do I take the filter out and wash it up again? :(

What kind of filter do you have? You said "Hayward" but that doesn't say if it's sand, cartridge, or a DE filter. Please fill out your signature - see mine for the sort of details we're looking for (if you're on a mobile device, turn it sideways to see signatures).

To do a SLAM you'll need a good test kit as PoolStored mentioned earlier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Then my understanding is yes, you have to add DE after you backwash as backwashing gets rid of the old DE and you need the DE on your filter combs to actually filter anything out.

does the algae bloom have anything to do with the skimmer not suctioning??
In a way it can. When the filter becomes overwhelmed with algae, there simply is nowhere for water to go (or at least as fast) resulting in back-pressure - like a traffic jam. The entire circulation of the pool is effected. Before trying to chase-down potential mechanical issues, it's always best to ensure the chemistry is 100% spot-on. Much easier to manage chemistry that tearing apart pipes and equipment anyways.

You stated you have a good test kit, which one? Please add it and your pool info to your signature. Then post a full set of water test results so we can confirm the states of the chemistry.

I have the TF-100
FC : 0
TC : 0.15
PH : 6.5
CYA : 5
ALKANITY : 33
Thank for those. The numbers are concerning and would most definitely explain the potential for algae. I would recommend two things at the moment:
1 - Increasing the pH (to about 7.2)and TA (anywhere between 70-80). PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises . If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels.

2 - Perform a SLAM Process to ensure algae is removed. Do it as follows:
a. Use liquid chlorine to increase the FC to 10 ppm, Re-test in 10 minutes. If teh FC crashed below 5, increase it back to 10 immediately and re-test in another 10 min. DO this until the FC holds between 5-10 ppm.
b. Once teh FC starts holding, add stabilizer for a CYA goal of 30, then also increase the FC to 12 and maintain the SLAM Process until you pass all 3 criteria.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.