Skimmer Loop?.?

ConcreteChris

Aug 10, 2020
Rhode Island
Ok guys! Pool is underway and I have a great feeling this will be my only question... Im building off plumbing engineering and its calling for a loop with the two skimmers before the trunk goes to the pump... Can someone explain how to plumb this "loop" I realize it's not just teeing them Together so.. Any help is great - Chris

You plumb the far skimmer and run the pipe by the other skimmer and T it in. Or you do runs of both skimmer lines to the pool pad and T them together there with a 3 way diverter valve.

@jimmythegreek thoughts?

Chris,

It makes sense to have a "loop" on the return line so that all the returns are close to equal pressure.

But in my mind, the only way to plumb two skimmers is for both of them to independently be connected back to the pad with each one having a 2-way Jandy valve so they can individually adjusted..

Thanks,

Jim R.

You both have it correct. You never loop suction lines only pressure and I dont do it unless they are deck jets or bubblers. You want 2 separate home runs from each skimmer to valve with a 3way or two 2way valves. Plumb them with the largest size piping your using, likely 2" pipe. Also note it's far better to have homeruns on the returns with seperate valves amd not looped there either

You both have it correct. You never loop suction lines only pressure and I dont do it unless they are deck jets or bubblers. You want 2 separate home runs from each skimmer to valve with a 3way or two 2way valves. Plumb them with the largest size piping your using, likely 2" pipe. Also note it's far better to have homeruns on the returns with seperate valves amd not looped there either

Thanks for the input guys.. Jimmy there is an A & A system with bubbles and floor cleaners.. Working off a line diagram for equipment room.. But no diagram for line runs in the actual pool (was told it was my choice to run lines as I wanted in the landscape... . And all fine and good with that except for this loop lol 2 skimmers across from each other with one 3" trunk going to equipment room. Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Here's your original thread on the same subject.

Here's your original thread on the same subject.
Yes Proavia, thank you for your input.. I was mearly attempting again to reach someone with an answer...

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chris,

It makes sense to have a "loop" on the return line so that all the returns are close to equal pressure.

But in my mind, the only way to plumb two skimmers is for both of them to independently be connected back to the pad with each one having a 2-way Jandy valve so they can individually adjusted..

Thanks,

Jim R.

To summarize, our advice is do not “Loop”.

Run each skimmer line all the way back to the pump and put a separate valve on each skimmer.

Use a minimum of 2” PVC.

Keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec on the suction and below 8 ft/sec on the pressure side.

Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.

1.5"...........38...............51 gpm

2"..............63...............84 gpm

2.5............90.............119 gpm

3.0".........138.............184 gpm

Skimmers should not have more than 60 gpm at any time. So, 2” PVC is fine up to 80 feet. Above 80 feet, go to 2.5” PVC.

Also, do not get a single speed pump. Get a variable speed pump.

Can you provide more details about the entire pool and equipment?

I would not do an in-floor cleaning system. A robot is a better way to go.

4" line from the main drains seems excessive. What type of flow do you need?

The 4" line splits off to (2) 3" lines. Where does the 3" line going down go to?

To summarize, our advice is do not “Loop”.

Run each skimmer line all the way back to the pump and put a separate valve on each skimmer.

Use a minimum of 2” PVC.

Keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec on the suction and below 8 ft/sec on the pressure side.

Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.

1.5"...........38...............51 gpm

2"..............63...............84 gpm

2.5............90.............119 gpm

3.0".........138.............184 gpm

Skimmers should not have more than 60 gpm at any time. So, 2” PVC is fine up to 80 feet. Above 80 feet, go to 2.5” PVC.

Also, do not get a single speed pump. Get a variable speed pump.

Can you provide more details about the entire pool and equipment?
I can provide anything you need to know.. A&A cleaning system, 2 9" main drains w/ 4"trunk
Waterfall w/ 3" line straight to a booster pump 2 returns when waterfall is off.. Working without a "line diagram" for inpool runs just equipment pad layout.. In plan calls for 2 skimmer loop coming to equipment pad as one 3" line

I don't think that the in-floor is a good choice, but it's up to you.

I would not Loop the skimmers.

How much flow does the waterfall take and what pump will you use?

How many btu per hour will the heater provide?

Reactions: ConcreteChris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.