Skimmer Line Issue - Pump Won't Maintain Prime

RufusT

Apr 16, 2017
Choctaw, OK
It seems that the theme of this season for me is "Filter and Plumbing Education"... I've replaced the sand in the filter, rebuilt the multi-port (still have a small issue there), filter pump failed and had to be replaced.... so now, it seems, I am having issues with the skimmer side of my plumbing.

Here's my situation:

If I turn off the skimmer line, before the pump, thereby only sucking water through the floor, my system will prime and filter the water without issue. Soon after opening the skimmer line back up, the pump will lose prime. The water level is correct (halfway up the skimmer). I have suspected there may be a leak at the actual skimmer but have not been able to confirm this.

I am anticipating that I am going to have to hire a plumbing/leak detection company or a pool guy to come out and look at it for me... But before I do that, I am hoping you guys can give me some troubleshooting tips to see if I can narrow it down or figure it out.

The only thing I can think is to use come sealant on the piping that is exposed, just to ensure that is not the issue.

Try using plastic wrap around connections, valves, etc on the skimmer suction side.

Reactions: RufusT
Rufus,

While the skimmer pipes may be the source of your air leak, I would look elsewhere first..

The skimmer weir door sticking up will cause the skimmer to have a "flushing toilet bowl action" and allow air to get into the pump.

Also the seal inside the valve that allows you to select between skimmer and main drain, can also be the cause of an air leak.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.