Skimmer Float Valve

Is there only one suction line at the pump inlet? I’m just trying to make sure of the plumbing configuration.

That flap, if closed, would stop the skimmer from operating and the pump would pull all the water from whatever is hooked up to that secondary port. So, if the MD were plumbed to the skimmer, then closing that flap would cause the pump to pull water from the MD. In practice, that flap doesn’t make a tight seal so even when it’s closed, some small amount of water will be pulled into the skimmer.

I’m glad you have one, many don’t and need to if the skimmer has a main drain linked up. I adjust my skimmer float valve occasionally but it should be option for effective skimming. It’s mainly there as a failsafe in case the water level falls below the skimmer so the pump diverts suction to the main drain.

When I had a in floor cleaning system (IFCS), the float valve was critical to having control of the cleaning effectiveness and I had only a sliver of the valve open because at high pump speed it was plenty to skim with. Up to you.

I felt next to the two holes beneath the float valve and only one has suction.
Sounds right. The suction line goes to your pump and the other is from your main drain. Really without that float valve you get no suction from your main drain and you’ll get poor circulation and more chemical use. The skimming only takes about 20% of the top layer of water leaving the bottom water stagnant.

Here’s a good link to explain how the float valves work .

Reactions: Cisco1906
In my pool, the valve is designed to shut off the skimmer when the water is too low so you aren’t sucking air causing pump damage. When the valve is closed, water is pulled in from one of the lower pipes, following the same path skimmer water follows when the valve is open.
You adjust your flap for the right amount of skimmer suction when the valve is open for proper water level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.