Skimmer Face Plate Gasket Placement

aboykin2269

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Pittsboro NC
I am having trouble with the skimmer leaking on my new pool. Unfortunately, during my self install, I attempted to mount the skimmer on my own, and it is leaking and I could not get a good seal. Also, I ended up stripping the screw heads and I don't think it was aligned properly.
So, I have a new skimmer coming (same model) and some help lined up for the replacement. My question is this:
On the inside of the pool side, does the gasket go between the face plate and the liner, or between the liner and the wall?
I believe this model comes with one of those butterfly type gaskets.
Thanks in advance...

That style gasket should sandwich the liner and the wall...that’s why it’s like 2 gaskets fused together. One side goes on the inside of the pool and one side goes on the outside of the pool.
So in sandwiching the liner and the wall, you are saying that the liner AND the wall should go between the gasket. So going from the water side moving out, it would be face plate, gasket, liner, wall, gasket, skimmer.
Correct?

I know when I installed mine I found it answered both ways, the manuals though state it should be Faceplate>liner>gasket>wall>gasket>Skimmer is it different when doing a replacement install? For the initial install it makes complete sense the way the manual has it since you don't cut the liner until after everything is installed.

I know when I installed mine I found it answered both ways, the manuals though state it should be Faceplate>liner>gasket>wall>gasket>Skimmer is it different when doing a replacement install? For the initial install it makes complete sense the way the manual has it since you don't cut the liner until after everything is installed.
yes! and that was my dilemma. When i first mounted it, i had everything in place then cut the liner. Then it was leaking, so I tried tightening the screws and that wasn't working. Then i realized some of the screws were just turning, so i had missed the holes in the Skimmer completely. So then I drained the water, took it all the way out and started over. This time i put the gasket OVER the liner AND the Wall, put it back together. It still leaked, so I tried to tighten screws again. This time, many of them stripped and didn't look like it was going in straight.
So now I'm starting over. I got a new Skimmer and wanted to see if the gasket placement was actually what started my issues. I just don't want any leaks. It worries me especially with salt water, that is will shorten the life of the wall.
So, again, does the gasket go against the line on the inside or directly against the wall???

yes! and that was my dilemma. When i first mounted it, i had everything in place then cut the liner. Then it was leaking, so I tried tightening the screws and that wasn't working. Then i realized some of the screws were just turning, so i had missed the holes in the Skimmer completely. So then I drained the water, took it all the way out and started over. This time i put the gasket OVER the liner AND the Wall, put it back together. It still leaked, so I tried to tighten screws again. This time, many of them stripped and didn't look like it was going in straight.
So now I'm starting over. I got a new Skimmer and wanted to see if the gasket placement was actually what started my issues. I just don't want any leaks. It worries me especially with salt water, that is will shorten the life of the wall.
So, again, does the gasket go against the line on the inside or directly against the wall???

With the butterfly gasket it will sandwich both the liner and wall. It's like having two gaskets in one, you open it up and straddle the opening in the wall and liner. I hope that makes sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.