Skimmer doesn’t seem to be doing much

dooger54

Gold Supporter
Apr 21, 2017
Tucson AZ
CE3F6B0A-2802-4AA5-A322-0CE0728840CC.jpeg7FB763A4-12BD-4407-ABB0-CF34436DF05A.jpegMy skimmer doesn’t seem to be doing much, the water flow seems stagnate even when my pump is running at 3000 rpm. I noticed debris and leaves on the surface yesterday on the end opposite the skimmer and they are still there this morning. Shouldn’t they be moving into the skimmer?

There is a Jandy valve on the output, see pic. Does that needs to be opened more? Not even sure why it is there.

View attachment 458885View attachment 458886My skimmer doesn’t seem to be doing much, the water flow seems stagnate even when my pump is running at 3000 rpm. I noticed debris and leaves on the surface yesterday on the end opposite the skimmer and they are still there this morning. Shouldn’t they be moving into the skimmer?

There is a Jandy valve on the output, see pic. Does that needs to be opened more? Not even sure why it is there.
Most likely no weir. Skimmers don't "skim" without them. The weir will create a current that draws water of the surface. Return valve is open to two ports. Returns and waterfall? No problem there.

There is a Jandy valve on the output, see pic. Does that needs to be opened more?
First picture shows both output ports are PARTIALLY closed. I would rotate the valve COUNTER CLOCKWISE (so you do not rotate cutoff through the inlet), AND TO BE MORE SAFE, WITH PUMP OFF, until the HANDLE is at 9 o'clock.

Reactions: Tcadwall0
First picture of overall setup shows valve on the black pump, which is my waterfall. So that would have nothing to do with the pool pump.

The Jandy valve now is at about 8 o’clock if I’m seeing it right. I guess I’m asking for a little clarification of what that valve does. Sorry for the dumb question.

I believe this valve controls your returns to the pool, as it is after the SWCG. Why it is there? No idea. In this position, the door is underneath the "off" portion of the handle and is likely partially obscuring the outlets. Do not turn this clockwise past 3pm, as it will shut off the inlet. Either stop the pump ad turn the HANdLE to 9 o'clock, or turn it counter clockwise to 9 o'clock.

1666289144742.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finally, if the output valve is now open (after turning to 9), and your weir door is in place, where is your water level in the pool. When water is higher that filling 50% of the skimmer opening, you will get very little skimming. If your water is high, remove water until your water level is at 50% of the skimmer opening

I believe this valve controls your returns to the pool, as it is after the SWCG. Why it is there? No idea. In this position, the door is underneath the "off" portion of the handle and is likely partially obscuring the outlets. Do not turn this clockwise past 3pm, as it will shut off the inlet. Either stop the pump ad turn the HANdLE to 9 o'clock, or turn it counter clockwise to 9 o'clock.

View attachment 458903
Is there some reason it shouldn’t be fully open, which I assume would be pointing straight up to 12 o’clock?

Finally, if the output valve is now open (after turning to 9), and your weir door is in place, where is your water level in the pool. When water is higher that filling 50% of the skimmer opening, you will get very little skimming. If your water is high, remove water until your water level is at 50% of the skimmer opening
Water level looks pretty good.
D2AD79D4-9EB3-4407-964D-BBDCCF823445.jpeg

Is there some reason it shouldn’t be fully open, which I assume would be pointing straight up to 12 o’clock?
12 O'clock for the HANDLE would close off one return, the one directly below the valve. 3 o'clock handle will close off the other return. 6 o'clock handle closes off the input from the filter...don't do that. 9 o'clock handle is ALL OPEN.

1666297192953.png

Reactions: dooger54
Water level looks pretty good.
View attachment 458935
That is low. They are designed to work best 40-50% full. If your pump was on in this picture, I think your weirs may be stuck open. They need to be free to go up and down. Would you exercise them and make sure that they are free to move.

That is low. They are designed to work best 40-50% full. If your pump was on in this picture, I think your weirs may be stuck open. They need to be free to go up and down. Would you exercise them and make sure that they are free to move.
Pool was not running when i took the pic. I did manually move the weir up and down, seemed to work fine. I can try to adjust the float to bring up water level some.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.