Skim Doctor 2, good or bad?

ZcottD

Jun 23, 2017
Connecticut
I keep going back and fourth on the idea of getting one of these. I'd like my skimmer to pull in more debris, but I'm just not sure if this is really gonna do it. I've seen lots of positive reviews on amazon, but I kinda wonder if people are just basing it on seeing the vortex in the skimmer and not on whether the skimmer is pulling in more floating debris. I saw a couple people here had tried out the first model, anyone tried out version 2?

El producto: SkimDoctor :: SkimDoctor 2.0 For In Ground Swimming Pools

Save your money. Although it may increase the velocity of the water entering the skim basket, it doesn't make any change to the quantity or velocity of the water as it passes over the weir. That's where the skimming action is located.

Hi ZcottD, I ordered a SkimDoctor 2.0 along with the regular and large socks this week, should have by end of next week. I have the STA-RITE U-3 skimmer on my pool. The issue I am working to improve is that my pool is a lap pool, I swim laps every day, and during that time the skimmer weir door is banging on the stop constantly due to the waves generated, can't be good for the skimmer parts. Part of the problem is that the "foam" "weir bumper" is positioned too high on the stop, so the weir door doesn't contact it, so it's the plastic weir door hitting the plastic stop, I called Pentair yesterday and they're sending me a new bumper to apply.

I'm wondering if with the SkimDoctor 2.0 I can remove the weir door, since the SD may replace the weir door action, and I would position the SD slots to left/right, so hopefully stuff will stay in skimmer basket and not get washed out. Or leave the weir door on, but with the SD installed there will be more current holding the weir door back preventing it from slapping against the stop. My VS pump runs at a relative low 1775rpm speed most of the day to activate my SWCG flow switch, but with some plumbing changes I have planned I hope to lower that speed somewhat.

Anyway, for $39.95 for the SD and the socks on sale I thought it was worth getting one to play with. I'm an engineer/tinkerer/optimizer at heart so I can't help myself! I look forward to dialing in the SD with my VS pump and see what it does. I'll try and report back after I've had a chance to try it.

For ease of removal, I switched to these baskets. The "tower" just unscrews so I can still use the hair nets in the skimmers. Just remove tower put my hair net over it centered then screw it into place. Then pull the elastic up over the edge of the basket and put it in place.

Amazon.com : Skim Pro Skimmer Basket with Tower for Hayward SP1070 Series Pool Skimmers : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

I bought this exact same tower basket at almost the same date- a replacement to the prior tower basket which is now history from what I describe below. Interested in a couple of thoughts- first I was trying to use the pool socks with my aforementioned prior basket and one day we had a bit of a monsoon mess (PHX area). What ended up happening is that the force of the skimmer pump trying to pull all the leaves and sediment that became plastered to the inside of the sock cracked and basically trashed the basket- it was a shredded mess with just the sock hanging on. So, in fear of burning out one of my pumps, I've discontinued the sock. Have you ever had this issue? I like the cleanliness I was getting with the sock, but don't want to risk pump failure.

Also, is your tower basket staying in place? Several of the last times I checked mine has floated out of place- which is an issue I never had with my last tower basket- which kind of brought me to this thread in that I started to look for a different solution and came across the swim doctor gadget- which I'm sure would keep the basket well seated (but then again, so does a rock:)).

Hi ZcottD, I ordered a SkimDoctor 2.0 along with the regular and large socks this week, should have by end of next week. I have the STA-RITE U-3 skimmer on my pool. The issue I am working to improve is that my pool is a lap pool, I swim laps every day, and during that time the skimmer weir door is banging on the stop constantly due to the waves generated, can't be good for the skimmer parts. Part of the problem is that the "foam" "weir bumper" is positioned too high on the stop, so the weir door doesn't contact it, so it's the plastic weir door hitting the plastic stop, I called Pentair yesterday and they're sending me a new bumper to apply.

I'm wondering if with the SkimDoctor 2.0 I can remove the weir door, since the SD may replace the weir door action, and I would position the SD slots to left/right, so hopefully stuff will stay in skimmer basket and not get washed out. Or leave the weir door on, but with the SD installed there will be more current holding the weir door back preventing it from slapping against the stop. My VS pump runs at a relative low 1775rpm speed most of the day to activate my SWCG flow switch, but with some plumbing changes I have planned I hope to lower that speed somewhat.

Anyway, for $39.95 for the SD and the socks on sale I thought it was worth getting one to play with. I'm an engineer/tinkerer/optimizer at heart so I can't help myself! I look forward to dialing in the SD with my VS pump and see what it does. I'll try and report back after I've had a chance to try it.

Is the swim doctor working out for you? I have an issue with swimming laps as well and my skimmer (or basically anytime the kids play in the pool) in that some of the skimmed material floats back out and it appears I'm dislodging the skimmer basket so it floats around. Not the biggest deal, but it's kind of a hassle to go and grab the skim net and re clean the debris.

I bought this exact same tower basket at almost the same date.........

Also, is your tower basket staying in place? Several of the last times I checked mine has floated out of place- which is an issue I never had with my last tower basket- which kind of brought me to this thread in that I started to look for a different solution and came across the swim doctor gadget- which I'm sure would keep the basket well seated (but then again, so does a rock:)).
L
I just added a bunch of weight inside the tower to keep it from floating. I used zip ties to hold the weight in place. And line it with my beloved hair nets.

Here's what it looks like, ready to use:
attyachment.php
attachment.php

For those who have a different sized basket, there is a tower adapter only version that can be added to your existing basket.

IMG_0280.JPG
SkimPro Tower Adapter for Above-Ground Pool Skimmer Baskets | SP-TA-AG

$12 at Sunplay.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The stainless rod is a handle that fits into two slots and sets across the mouth of the basket. It was just shipped inside the tower. I don't use it.

Save your money. Although it may increase the velocity of the water entering the skim basket, it doesn't make any change to the quantity or velocity of the water as it passes over the weir. That's where the skimming action is located.

Does anyone else feel this way? This has been my thought, but it seems like everyone sees the "vortex action" inside their skimmer basket and assumes that this means a cleaner pool. I'm a new pool owner, but my understanding is that the pool is kept clean by circulating water from the pool through the skimmer (taking floating debris alone with it) through the filter and back through the returns. I don't see the advantage to speeding up the water once it is already inside the skimmer. Is this just a good marketing campaign?

Does anyone else feel this way? This has been my thought, but it seems like everyone sees the "vortex action" inside their skimmer basket and assumes that this means a cleaner pool. I'm a new pool owner, but my understanding is that the pool is kept clean by circulating water from the pool through the skimmer (taking floating debris alone with it) through the filter and back through the returns. I don't see the advantage to speeding up the water once it is already inside the skimmer. Is this just a good marketing campaign?

My best guess is that the skim doctor creates better skimming by breaking the surface tension of the top layer of water, thereby causing the material floating on the top to gain priority (thereby get sucked in quicker) over the deeper water. It's the same concept as what another product called "skim around" uses.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to agree. That said I have two skin doctors that I don’t need. Can make someone a deal if they want to try it

Is this a skim doctor 2.0? If so please pm me with a price. Thanks.

My best guess is that the skim doctor creates better skimming by breaking the surface tension of the top layer of water, thereby causing the material floating on the top to gain priority (thereby get sucked in quicker) over the deeper water. It's the same concept as what another product called "skim around" uses.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a skim doctor 2.0? If so please pm me with a price. Thanks.

The skim around is a product that floats on the surface of the pool effectively adding another skimmer to the pool system, correct? I can see the benefit of this to keep the pool cleaner, but I still don't see any advantage to speeding up the water once it is already inside the skimmer. The way I see it, once debris is inside the skimmer box, it is removed from the main pool. I don't think it matters if the water flows fast or slow inside the skimmer - The pump is still moving the same volume of water and the speed of the water circulation outside of the skimmer box doesn't change, correct?

I agree, I don't see how any action within the skimmer box can help in any way. Just make sure your weir is working properly, and returns turned to provide good circulation. This is a gimmick, save your money.

The skim around is a product that floats on the surface of the pool effectively adding another skimmer to the pool system, correct? I can see the benefit of this to keep the pool cleaner, but I still don't see any advantage to speeding up the water once it is already inside the skimmer. The way I see it, once debris is inside the skimmer box, it is removed from the main pool. I don't think it matters if the water flows fast or slow inside the skimmer - The pump is still moving the same volume of water and the speed of the water circulation outside of the skimmer box doesn't change, correct?

Due to the surface tension of water in combination of the increase in gravitational pull that is created by the skim doctor- by blocking the lower depth of water and forcing the water to fall over the top, greater energy is being created in the pull of the very top layer of water. By doing this, the "pull" of the skimmer will reach farther out into the pool surface thereby pulling the top layer of debris in faster. Since the surface tension of water traps most debris at the surface of water (this is the same effect that allows water striders the ability to walk on water), most of your debris is trapped there as well until it breaks the tension and floats to the bottom. Unfortunately most skimmers waste time (and pump energy) trying to pull several inches in depth worth of water into the skimmer at the same time. While it will pull the surface debris eventually, a lot of energy and time (that allows for the debris held by surface tension to sink) is lost.

And you are correct- the skim around uses the same physics to improve its skimming function. I think where these 2 devices really have a home is with people that have underpowered pumps for the pool size or pools with variable speed motors. I probably have too much pump for my pool, so the need is less but I may still give it a go in the hopes of cutting down on pump time.

Reactions: Ignoramus
The only way to increase the skimming action in the pool is to:
A. increase the velocity or flow over the weir. (It doesn't do that)
B. Improve the surface circulation within the pool. (Doesn't do that either)

Improving circulation or altering action that only takes place within the skimmer box, does nothing outside the skimmer in the pool. I see no way this device can be of much value beyond serving as a handle on the basket.

It certainly isn't going to have an affect on "surface tension" or "gravitational pull" outside the skimmer box. And "blocking the lower depth of water and forcing the water to fall over the top, greater energy is being created in the pull of the very top layer of water." is actually a perfect description of precisely what the weir does.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support