Skills Gap

The good news is the water chemistry on the pools in the Metaverse will always be "Ideal".
Not in the Facebook Metaverse.

Facebook needs to make money, so the chemistry will need to be maintained to keep it right.

In the Facebook metaverse, you will be required to have Leslie’s test your virtual water and you will have to buy their virtual chemicals or your pool will go green.

If you don’t buy their virtual trichlor tabs or a virtual SWG, your pool will get green and nasty.

FB will also make your virtual grass grow so that you have to pay someone to cut it.

FB will decide what breaks and when, and you have to pay a virtual service person to fix or replace whatever breaks.

FB will sell you virtual electricity if you want the lights or anything else in your virtual home to work.

Oh good, I can practice being an activist organizer.
Dissent is not allowed.

In the FB metaverse everything costs money.

You want your character to be able to breathe or drink or eat?

Buy FB air, water and food or your avatar dies.

Oops, your avatar got sick or injured and needs to go to the FB hospital; that’s going to cost you a lot unless you have FB brand health insurance.

FB even has their own cryptocurrency called facebucks that the entire economy runs on.

By avoiding any legal currency, FB avoids paying taxes to anyone.

FB is the government of the FB metaverse and they will charge taxes on everything including income taxes, sales taxes, property taxes etc.

Last edited:
I have my own tool box and it is not pink :roll: LOL
Me too - several!
@ajw22 there will be no merging of the tools!
Funny story - when I was younger & more opportunistic I noticed, as a woman starting out in the trades, that there were no products geared towards us that were real - I’m talking safety pink Dewalt or Klein stuff. Not those toy flowerdy screwdrivers & hammers.
I dreamed to one day have a diy show or something similar & get sponsors to have my own line of real tools 🛠 for working women - & clothes too! There was no Carhartt for women back then or really work boots even. Some of that has changed now with many more women in the trades. I thought about turning my current business website into a blog but I think that ship has sailed. Now with the advent of YouTube I have recently thought about starting a vlog or whatever showing women or men how to repair basic things by simply recording the things I do on an everyday basis & I dunno if I have missed the bus on this or not. 🤷‍♀️
Either way I think my husband is glad he married “The Handy Houskeeper” & my kids just think everyone is supposed to know how to fix everything themselves 🤣 hopefully this will take them far in life as skills are all I have to offer since I never became rich & famous 🤩

Either way I think my husband is glad he married “The Handy Houskeeper” & my kids just think everyone is supposed to know how to fix everything themselves 🤣 hopefully this will take them far in life as skills are all I have to offer since I never became rich & famous 🤩
I forget not everyone is like we are..........when I go to help someone do something they look at my husband and he just nods at me and says This is her thing not mine! LOL I got tired of having to ask our maintenance guy to borrow his tools and he sighing or rolling his eyes as he told me he would do it when he had time.....NOPE I need it done NOW. So I even have a tool box in my office at school! I don't even ask him for help any more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in my early 30s and slightly less pessimistic about the future, although looking at my peers and Gen-Z, I frequently do feel I have every right to feel otherwise.

I try to keep it in the perspective of looking at every generation that came before me. The rightfully derided pot-smoking, free love, hippy dippy trippy 20-somethings of the 60s eventually molded themselves in to practical, useful members of society. The early-mid Gen Xrs didn't end up playing Pac Man down at the the arcade until the end of time or have their nose in their Game Boy for the rest of their lives. Despite the best efforts of the public school system, global conglomerates, and board directors looking to make a quick buck by shipping every possible entry-level manufacturing job overseas, I managed to make something of my life. I was part of the only generation to spend my formative years in a pre-internet/post-internet era. I went from being enamored by the very idea of a bag phone to meeting some of my closest friends as a teenager on AOL Instant Messenger and car forums. Some of those people are my closest friends in life to this day.

On the topic of skills, I would like to point out that I know plenty of boomers who are entirely useless when it comes to doing literally anything with their hands. Dishwasher broke and all it needs is a pump? Throw it out and buy another one. Toilet stopped up? What's an auger? I'll pay $350 for a plumber service call instead. My car needs brakes? Guess it's going to the dealer on Monday. This is not a generational issue, it's a societal issue that I believe is most predicated on the removal of Home Ec and Vo-tech from the school system and further reinforced by the trope of "You didn't go to college?! The only job you're going to find is being a PLUMBER!" The constant derision of the skilled trades is why nobody is skilled anymore. The fallacy that a professional must take care of every basic facet of your life is the problem. The idea that you can't possibly have an opinion on a complex societal issue unless you came out of an Ivy League school with a $350,000 Ph.D is the icing on the cake.

Something happened in society that has made the average person believe that they cannot possibly be competent outside of their "lane". Maybe we've had it too good for the last 50+ years and the chickens are coming home to roost. Hard times make strong men, and all that.

I refuse to submit to the way things are going now. Maybe spending a lot of my later teenage years with a sick father and dwindling household savings made the difference. Learning to fix my S-box car was not a hobby, it was done out of necessity. If I wanted to get to work at 16, I was going to have to learn how to make that 20 year old Pontiac run again because taking a car to the shop is not a luxury afforded to people who live in run down trailer parks. Between my friends and I, I can't count how many engine swaps, transmission swaps, top end rebuilds, timing belt changes, and tuning projects we've done to this point. That stuff made me a better person. Begging a guy my buddy knew for a miserable structured cabling IT job at 18 where I dealt with incompetent rent-a-drunks from a staffing agency and working miserable overnight shifts got me on the track to get the skills I needed to be in the job I have now. Had I listened to society and gone to school for four years for a degree in underwater basketweaving I would have graduated $120k in debt and would probably work at Starbucks. I've managed to get through life by usually eschewing anything society tells me I should do. I am a millennial high school dropout from a trailer park, yet I somehow made it.

Society isn't screwed because of the current generation. The current generation is screwed because of society.

The early-mid Gen Xrs didn't end up playing Pac Man down at the the arcade until the end of time or have their nose in their Game Boy for the rest of their lives.
Oh but you’re wrong there buddy! We will play Pac-Man and NES until the day we die!!!!! It’s just that now we have to find said Pac-Man, bring it home, rebuild it, teach ourselves how to fix all the electronics in it, and then manage to do that without electrocuting ourselves from a 20k volt discharge from its CRT monitor. And we don’t ever give up on fixing said CRT monitor and slap an LCD in it…. As that’s blasphemy! Now go and google what is a CRT monitor, cause I ain’t got the time to ‘splain it to ya…
94A4569C-F0B5-4F89-B527-B290B9AB70A0.jpeg

Last edited:
@dfwnoob This is for YOU!
Golden Globes Reaction GIF by Boomerang Official

@Orion7319 I am coming to your house!!!!

Now go and google what is a CRT monitor, cause I ain’t got the time to ‘splain it to ya…

Hey now! Don't forget that when I was a teenager and loved hitting up the thrift store, finding a Trinitron was like striking gold! CRTs were all I knew until LCDs really got good AND cheap. I had a 19" Dell-branded Trinitron through at least 2009. It weighed so much it would bend my desk. I think I finally moved to an LCD in the 09-10 range when decent 1080p displays finally got reasonably affordable.

...manage to do that without electrocuting ourselves from a 20k volt discharge from its CRT monitor.

I got a real good jolt from the flyback transformer or a cap in an old G3 iMac when I tried taking it apart to turn it into an aquarium. I'm well aware of that one! o_O

(.. and no I never finished the aquarium)

Reactions: Orion7319
This is not a generational issue, it's a societal issue
This captures the spirit of what I was trying to convey far more eloquently than I was able to put into words. It was not at all my intent to deride a generation - I personally straddle X and Y. As an aside, I own an IT company full of Boomers, Gen X and Gen Y folks, each as crazy resourceful, hardworking and passionate about what they do as the next. The theme among them is that they are well-rounded problem solvers - not one-hit wonders. Most have hobbies about which they are super passionate - and which are completely unrelated to their vocation - cars, aviation, solving unsolved crimes, cake-artists, home automation, battle bots, you name it. That's what we look for when we add to the team - people who know how to take a problem they've never seen, break it into parts, and figure it out. If I find them, I hire them - we'll teach them IT. I'm the least capable person in the building on any given day. They're downright rock stars.

That's what I fear we are losing - and I think it's fair to say that we lose a little more with each generation. Again - not a generational issue - a societal issue. The only thing I know to do about it is continue to build a company where smart people can bring their brains to work with them and *actually use them*, and raise three boys (that's all we've got, otherwise it would be girls too!!) who can think critically, embrace failure as the raw material of wisdom, and who aren't afraid of a problem they've never encountered. Please accept my sincere apology if my initial post came off as harsh.

Peace,

Wes

Please accept my sincere apology if my initial post came off as harsh.

In no way did I take offense to anything you said, you were spot on. These things ARE being lost. But inevitably, after pointing that out the discussion veers toward "look at these zoomers eating their Tide Pods! Yeet!" My post was not at all directed at you, lol. You pointed out something everyone needs to understand about what's going on. I should have been much better about how I put it in my post.

The theme among them is that they are well-rounded problem solvers - not one-hit wonders. Most have hobbies about which they are super passionate - and which are completely unrelated to their vocation - cars, aviation, solving unsolved crimes, cake-artists, home automation, battle bots, you name it. That's what we look for when we add to the team - people who know how to take a problem they've never seen, break it into parts, and figure it out. If I find them, I hire them - we'll teach them IT.

I can't begin to tell you how much I love this. What you're doing here should be the rule, not the exception. I'll probably never know enough about business to run my own company, but if I did, this is exactly what I would do, too. The careers in my field require working for big companies where the hiring manager never even sees your resume until it passes through 2 layers of incompetent HR personnel who have no clue how the company operates, let alone whether or not you'd be qualified for the job. They pump your resume into an HR black box and if you match enough keywords and have the right degree, you just may be lucky enough to bounce to a hiring manager. I've hired a few people during my career at my current company, and there are two things I always do: throw out the questions HR wants me to ask and I ALWAYS spend 5-10 minutes talking about what they like to do outside of work. Of the 4 people I hired, 3 are still here, 5+ years later. Which sadly, is pretty much unheard of.

Last edited:
It’s tough that trade jobs and skills are looked at how they are compared to other skills. No one downplays their value when an issue arises! We all do the best we can and try to learn along the way. I don’t think not knowing such skills is as intentional as it seems. I think we’d all benefit from some mix.

Hey now! Don't forget that when I was a teenager and loved hitting up the thrift store, finding a Trinitron was like striking gold! CRTs were all I knew until LCDs really got good AND cheap. I had a 19" Dell-branded Trinitron through at least 2009. It weighed so much it would bend my desk. I think I finally moved to an LCD in the 09-10 range when decent 1080p displays finally got reasonably affordable.

I got a real good jolt from the flyback transformer or a cap in an old G3 iMac when I tried taking it apart to turn it into an aquarium. I'm well aware of that one! o_O

(.. and no I never finished the aquarium)
All the retro console guys are always on the lookout for Sony Trinitrons. The holy grail of console CRT monitors are sony broadcast monitors, which makes me laugh because I used to work for a TV station back in the late 90’s and I was surrounded by those things. Your correct, the old Trinitrons do weigh a ton, they are typically about 150 pounds or so. I still have an old Toshiba 16x9 HDTV CRT, it’s an oddity. It’s got one HDMI that can only do 720p and 2 component inputs that can only do 1080i. It upscales the component and the Svideo which introduces lag.. which means lag and no light gun games. The only thing it’s perfect for are things like the NES and genesis minis. That joker is 130 pounds. I keep it just because it’s weird. Yes the flybacks can bite you! You got lucky though it was the fly back, those usually only kick out around 200v which is bad enough. It’s the anode cap (that suction cup thing) you really got to respect. On a 19 inch it’s typically around 20,000 volts on a 27 inch they are around 50,000 volts. I had one of those fall off on me once while I was working a monitor, looked like a plasma globe. Bolt missed my had by about half an inch, fun times!

Reactions: dfwnoob and newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.