Size of SWG

pool123*

Aug 28, 2019
Aldie, VA
Hello. We are finalizing our pool specs before hopefully signing a contract in the next week or so. I've read here that the SWG should be 2X the pool volume but need some additional guidance. Our pool will be 39K gallons (20 x 40, 4'-9' deep) and our PB is recommending Jandy Aquapure 1400 which is rated to 40K gallons and he says it will be fine. I was hoping to just tell him to replace it with a certain model that can handle 2x the capacity of our pool, but I can't find one, definitely not Jandy. I did find a Pentair rated to 60K gallons. Any suggestions? We are planning on automation (currently Jandy) and understand that it needs to be the same mfr. as the equipment in order to work properly. We're open to changing to whatever makes sense but our PB really has a preference for Jandy. Thank you!

Only Pentair and Circupool make residential units rated for 60K.

In your climate, if you have a VS pump and are OK with running 24 hours per day, the Aquapure1400 will barely suffice. You will have to supplement with liquid chlorine before/after any significant pool usage and during the heart of the summer.

The only other option is to install two SWCG's. But that complexity, in your climate, should be avoided.

Reactions: Tiger56 and pikeman
I did find a Pentair rated to 60K gallons. Any suggestions? We are planning on automation (currently Jandy) and understand that it needs to be the same mfr. as the equipment in order to work properly.

Will you have a spa? If no spa then mixing an IC60 with Jandy Aqualink automation is not a big issue. You will just need to go out to the equipment pad to make adjustments to the SWG generation %.

That said, I prefer Pentair equipment and if your PB will do a Pentair IntelliCenter automation with an Intelliflo 011028 VS pump, and and IC60 I would be doing that.

@mknauss thank you! I've seen Pentair recommended a lot here and my PB says it is his second choice, so I'm thinking maybe the Pentaire unit is the better choice. Is that big enough though? It still won't handle 2x our pool volume. I really appreciate your help.

As Allen mentioned above, Pentair would be the better choice.

The IC60 would be sufficient. You would still need to run the system for nearly 24 hours per day during the height of summer.

IC60 for a 40K pool will be fine in VA, VA does not have the sun intensity found in NV or AZ.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 35k pool and an IC60 in NY. (Similar in pool volume and climate). I run 24/7 and for most of the season I need to keep tabs on the FC production because it easily goes high. For the hottest part of the summer I still usually only need 60% to keep within range. The rest of the season is 20%-40%. An IC60 should handle your pool no problems, you just might need to run it at 80 or 100% for 12 hours if you choose to not run 24/7.

I strongly considered the circupool model this year when I needed a replacement. On paper the difference between the two is negligible, but I stuck with the Pentair for it’s proven track record for me.

It looks like Autopilot makes residential SWCGs rated up to 80k gallons.

I have a friend using an Autopilot SWCG (I believe 4+ years so far?) and is very happy with it.

Pool,
Be aware that Jandy will provide no warranty if you purchase online or install yourself. The only parts they will warrant for DIY are valve repair kits. Other brands reduce the warranty for many items but do not eliminate it. If you don't plan to do any DIY modifications or repairs in the future then this issue doesn't matter.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Fwiw, my pool is roughly the same gallonage as yours will be. I have an IC60 and a vs pump that runs 24/7. My average output % is mid 30's. I usually bump it up a bit when my 15 yr old son asks if he can have a few friends over.
(Apparently, in his world, about a dozen kids is considered a "few".)

(Just like playing Minecraft on the PS for 6 hrs is considered "getting exercise".)
What my 11 yo daughter can do in a VR environment is nothing short of astonishing. It will serve her well as most careers adapt to it by the time she gets there. My Super Mario skills of jumping on turtles never panned out in the real world.

I have a VS pump and an IC60 SWG on my 38000 Gal pool. The SWG has no trouble keeping my FC at 5+ in our close to 100 degree Summer weather running at 7 hours and 60 per cent. The pool only gets full sun for about 6 hours at day, blocked by the 2 story house in the morning hours and trees during the late afternoon hours. Right now with the pool at 55 degrees I run 6 hours at 10 per cent.

Here is a chart I made showing how much Chlorine the IC60 will produce in terms of 10 per cent liguid Chlorine.

IMG_0208.JPG

I like the chart expressed in ounces of 10 percent Chlorine be cause that is how I measured by liguid Chlorine daily additions before converting to SWG.

Gary

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.