Site Clearing Underway for NC Pool (In-Process Updates)

I think the tweak of the spa is the best of both worlds! Well done!

Looking the the pic of the property I do have one concern I hope someone has already addressed. See the driveway over the ditch? That is going to have to be reinforced to get the big equipment over it without breaking it. I would try to find a way for them to come and go without using your driveway if at all possible. Of course that area will have to be redone when it is all over.
Thanks for pointing out the consideration centered around site access. Fortunately, the driveway will not have to be utilized. We will be able to access the construction area through the adjacent lot.

Reactions: kimkats
When it comes to future proofing the outdoor space for future utilities such as for electrical, gas, water input, water drainage, low voltage, A/V (HDMI, speaker, ethernet, etc), what is the best approach? Is it simply running as many conduits as possible? Any help centered around this is much appreciated!

The time has finally come! Our dig date is has been scheduled for March 14th and we received confirmation today (including a site visit), that the excavation will indeed start on Monday. We are super excited but have the following 2 decisions we need to make very soon:

1) As can be seen in the renderings our lap pool is 14x41. It will be a sports pool with water depths of 4 —> 5 —> 4. The question is how many feet of 4’ water depths should we have in either side. And how many feet of 5’ water depths in the middle? Also, how should we transition the depths? Gradual? Sharply? Etc?

Also, what is the recommended water depths for the area near the swim-up bar?

2) We currently have 3 bubblers designed to be on the tanning shelf. However, I’m a bit concerned they’ll interfere with the loungers. Thinking of reducing the # of bubblers to 2. Hiwever, still struggling with where they should be placed to allow kids to play but not interfere with loungers (ie: adults relaxing).

Including a plan below for reference:

7D85FB3B-1A0E-46ED-8720-393FFAA9892B.jpeg

Any insight is highly appreciated! Thanks in advance!57063852-11EA-4E54-A986-EE22187D899F.jpeg

19E92CEC-FF6A-499C-B9FF-1F47F6E17532.jpeg

transition the depths
as gradual as you can get that way someone knows they are about to be over their mouth. To tell you the truth I would almost rather it all be one depth (4') for more useable space. Hold a tape measure up to the adults in your house. Where does 5' hit them? Me it would hit right at my mouth and not be any fun to be in long term. Why even have the 5'? (real question as I want you really think about it).
recommended water depths for the area near the swim-up bar
Now this one is a very good question..............lets talk about it.............I can see a lot of standing and hanging around in that area. Where do you want the water to hit you while standing in that area? Go for an average of the adults in the family and go from there. I think I would like the water to hit me mid torso.
where they should be placed to allow kids to play but not interfere with loungers (ie: adults relaxing).
You are so funny!!! Look at what you said "allow kids to play but not interfere adults relaxing" hehe NOT going to happen. If the kids are playing in that area the adults will get wet and not be relaxing. If you do want the kids to be able to play with the bubblers I would only do two so the lounger will not be in the way of the bubblers so you don't have to keep moving them.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
as gradual as you can get that way someone knows they are about to be over their mouth. To tell you the truth I would almost rather it all be one depth (4') for more useable space. Hold a tape measure up to the adults in your house. Where does 5' hit them? Me it would hit right at my mouth and not be any fun to be in long term. Why even have the 5'? (real question as I want you really think about it).

Now this one is a very good question..............lets talk about it.............I can see a lot of standing and hanging around in that area. Where do you want the water to hit you while standing in that area? Go for an average of the adults in the family and go from there. I think I would like the water to hit me mid torso.

You are so funny!!! Look at what you said "allow kids to play but not interfere adults relaxing" hehe NOT going to happen. If the kids are playing in that area the adults will get wet and not be relaxing. If you do want the kids to be able to play with the bubblers I would only do two so the lounger will not be in the way of the bubblers so you don't have to keep moving them.

Thanks Kim! The 5' water depth is really needed for the kids to do cannon balls, etc. At least, we think we do. No diving. What about the following:

1647198414791.png

-Make the coping in that area a different color-I say darker so it really stands out.
-Put in "marker tiles" on either side of the 5' like they do on shelves and benches.

That would be a one-two punch to make it stand out visible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On the bottom of the pool on either side of the 5' area. Kind of like they do for a swim lane but it goes from side to side instead of down the middle. Oh think about this! Put in a cute mosaic tile picture to give everyone a "target" to hit!

Reactions: Cena_sea
Now make sure to be there when they get there to dig. Show them your plans and ask how they feel about digging it just like that. Have some drinks on hand with a good plate of goodies to make them extra happy!

Made a last minute change prior to excavation starting this morning to change the lap pool width from 14' to 16'. Didn't want to regret it later. Will try to post pictures throughout this process.

Once again, huge thanks for everyone for the insight, feedback, and encouragement. It is highly appreciated and we are going to have a better product due to your selfless service!

I just tuned in. Great design. I had to look at it for a few minutes to make sure the shape didn't evoke things you didn't want it to. I think you're in the clear there. I think you'll greatly appreciate going 16' vs. 14'. In reality, that will be the play area and 14' is pretty narrow for lots of activity.

On the depth, my preference would be starting at 4' and going at an immediate angle down to 5' over 15' in length on each end, giving you 10' of 5' depth in the middle. Or maybe going 3 or 4' mostly flat then arching to the slope down to 5' at 15' in length. That way there is more lengthwise space for everyone to have their ideal standing height. A slope that gentle will seem basically flat for purposes of standing. Ours is much steeper and easily standable. 4' or 5' is not going to be the "perfect" height. And your current sloped area will be steeper and small in length, allowing fewer options for standing. I realize this is highly subjective and likely not easy to appreciate with out time in the pool.

My other thought is to clarify what the bar surface is. It looks like something different from the coping areas. It looked like granite in the concepts. Care should be given to make sure it's Bon Jovi proof (slippery when wet). Whether you "allow" walking on it or not, it will get walked on by kids, and will need to be walked on by you to brush the sides.

I just tuned in. Great design. I had to look at it for a few minutes to make sure the shape didn't evoke things you didn't want it to. I think you're in the clear there. I think you'll greatly appreciate going 16' vs. 14'. In reality, that will be the play area and 14' is pretty narrow for lots of activity.

On the depth, my preference would be starting at 4' and going at an immediate angle down to 5' over 15' in length on each end, giving you 10' of 5' depth in the middle. Or maybe going 3 or 4' mostly flat then arching to the slope down to 5' at 15' in length. That way there is more lengthwise space for everyone to have their ideal standing height. A slope that gentle will seem basically flat for purposes of standing. Ours is much steeper and easily standable. 4' or 5' is not going to be the "perfect" height. And your current sloped area will be steeper and small in length, allowing fewer options for standing. I realize this is highly subjective and likely not easy to appreciate with out time in the pool.

My other thought is to clarify what the bar surface is. It looks like something different from the coping areas. It looked like granite in the concepts. Care should be given to make sure it's Bon Jovi proof (slippery when wet). Whether you "allow" walking on it or not, it will get walked on by kids, and will need to be walked on by you to brush the sides.
Thanks for your input! Regarding water depths, we still have a day or 2 to finalize. Out of the 2 options you've provided, see my comments below:

1) On the depth, my preference would be starting at 4' and going at an immediate angle down to 5' over 15' in length on each end, giving you 10' of 5' depth in the middle.

We're not keen on this option #1 as we want a lot of space to stand around and simply socialize while holding a drink comfortably, for example. Hence, two 12 foot wide 4 feet deep sections. The 9 foot length of a 5 foot deep section is intended for kids to be able to jump into and also will allow tallers adults a slightly higher difficulty level for games such volleyball and basketball.

2) Or maybe going 3 or 4' mostly flat then arching to the slope down to 5' at 15' in length.

I'm interested in learning more about option #2. How many feet of 4 foot depth are you suggesting before it starts to transition to 5 foot deep. How much space is need for the 4 foot depth to transition to a 5 foot depth using the arch approach.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your input! Regarding water depths, we still have a day or 2 to finalize. Out of the 2 options you've provided, see my comments below:

1) On the depth, my preference would be starting at 4' and going at an immediate angle down to 5' over 15' in length on each end, giving you 10' of 5' depth in the middle.

We're not keen on this option #1 as we want a lot of space to stand around and simply socialize while holding a drink comfortably, for example. Hence, two 12 foot wide 4 feet deep sections. The 9 foot length of a 5 foot deep section is intended for kids to be able to jump into and also will allow tallers adults a slightly higher difficulty level for games such volleyball and basketball.

2) Or maybe going 3 or 4' mostly flat then arching to the slope down to 5' at 15' in length.

I'm interested in learning more about option #2. How many feet of 4 foot depth are you suggesting before it starts to transition to 5 foot deep. How much space is need for the 4 foot depth to transition to a 5 foot depth using the arch approach.

Thanks again!
I was thinking something like the following picture. So essentially from like 6-14' would be the primary descent. 1' over 8' is a very modest drop. To imitate it just put a board one foot high on one end and on the ground on the other, then stand on it. But in reality, it's even less steep feeling than that because in water, the water helps to keep you in place much better than air does. The main idea was a bit of an "S" shape to the descent if I properly visualized that. Rarely (almost never) do gunite pools have crisp lines of change in elevation except for steps. I suspect this is what you would get even if you just said to angle from 4-5 over x feet.

Attachments

• 2022-03-14 17.04.16.jpg
    2022-03-14 17.04.16.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.