Simple vacation solution liquid dispense hack.

bosco

Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
arizona
I had a thought. We are going on vacation for a week later this year.. It occurred to me that since bleach is heavier than water, if I put a gallon of bleach with the cap off at the bottom of the pool it will take some time to diffuse through the opening into the pool. I can control the diffusion rate by making the opening smaller, (I.e. a nail puncture), etc.

Soo. If I could figure out the right opening for the right rate of diffusion, I could do something like set 3 gals of LC on the bottom of the pool when we leave for a super cheap slow release chlorine dispense solution. I imagine there might be an issue in that at first it will diffuse more rapidly.. but this is not rocket science. as long as its in the ballpark, I dont have to have someone come by and do it.

I plan to start testing this in my pool experimentally. I'm sure if I had more chemistry and fluid dynamics expertise I might be able to figure it out.

Has anyone ever tried this?
Thanks.

I like the idea, but I agree that the diffusion rate may be very rapid. I can offer a suggestion, which I have not tried and do not really know its chances of success. You can add a membrane of sorts to slow down the permeation rate. If you can get a piece of silicone rubber sheeting, or even if you can cast a small silicone sheet from RTV silicone sealant. This can be added to the interface of the liquid chlorine and the pool water, which will slow down the diffusion rate by quite a bit. However, you need to take into account the osmotic pressure with respect to water osmosis. Water will try to permeate via osmotic pressure into the chlorine container. If the the salt content is too high, then water will likely travel into the container and may expand the container or even rupture the container. The use of a highly flexible container may solve this issue. Good luck, as it sounds as though you may have a fun experiment.

Here is my bet... it really doesn't do anything. CL is heavier than water, as you said, and with the small orifice on the jug it will just stay in the jug for the most part... UNLESS you make the hole bigger or you punch your holes in the side of the jug or you direct some water flow at the mouth of the jug...

Not trying to quash your idea,.. But I am curious how you plan to test this?

Reactions: SayraM
Cool idea.

Another idea would be to suspend the 1 gallon jug of LC over a return and drill a very small hole in the bottom of the jug and loosen the cap. If the online calculator I used is correct, if you drill a hole ~0.0025" diameter or close to #105 or a #106 drill bit it should take about a week to drip out.

Last edited:
Before I installed my Stenner, I played around with the idea of using baby bottle nipples on a gallon jug of bleach. I figured the super small holes would really slow down the drip rate. I never did test it though.

Reactions: bosco
I tinkered with that idea.. but found the drip rate slowed down too much with a simple hole in the jug. The solution I used was to setup a siphon with a tube and the jug. That will draw liquid at a constant rate based on the difference in height between the end of the tube and the surface of the liquid in the jug. Then I just regulated the flow with a clamp on the tube. I posted it somewhere around here in another thread. :scratch:

Reactions: bosco

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We were playing with it for Casey's experiment. I used a thumbtack to punch a single hole in the gallon and it shot a full stream and was empty in 45 min. Then you came up with the clips that worked

I posted it somewhere around here in another thread. :scratch:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.