Simple Fix for a Cracked Union Nut on a Pentair Salt Cell

mrzephyr

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
I’ve found the information on TFP very helpful, but didn’t see the need to participate in the forum until now. When I put the blank in place of the Pentair IC40 salt cell for this winter, one of the Union nuts cracked. Everything that I found in the forum, on-line and talking to my local pool company and Pentair made it sound like my only option was to cut into the plumbing and totally replace the unions. The cost was estimated at about $150. Then I found a split union nut and decided to order it on the remote chance that it old work. It arrived and yesterday I cut off the cracked nut with a Dremel, put the new split nut in place and was back up and running in less than an hour. Total cost was less than $5. Hoping that this post saves a lot of pool owners a lot of hassle and $$$. Attached is a screen shot of the part. Magic Plastics 2” Pump Union Split Nut part# 0121109020.

6/13/20 Update: When I first posted this, I was putting the blank on for the winter. I just tried to install the IntelliChlor Salt Cell this morning and found that you CANNOT fully tighten the nut, as it interferes with the flow switch cover. I was able to sand off enough of the nut to make it work. Not as easy as I thought, but still a lot easier, and cheaper than redoing the piping!

9319AB81-7412-4167-939F-0F15CE929C36.png

Last edited:
Filing away also. My hot tub has two of them at the motor and heater. Still wouldn’t have ever though to look for them for other uses. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: When I first posted this, I was putting the blank on for the winter. I just tried to install the IntelliChlor Salt Cell this morning and found that you CANNOT fully tighten the nut, as it interferes with the flow switch cover. I was able to sand off enough of the nut to make it work. Not as easy as I thought, but still a lot easier, and cheaper than redoing the piping!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.