Side effects of salt on lower range of acceptable

kevin.gt

Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2020
Atlanta, GA
I’m curious what the outcome would be of running your SWG with salt in the lower range of operational?

I recently got the Taylor k-1766 and know I now have 3200 ppm, but likely ran with 2800 ppm or possibly less for a bit. Should I expect any difference in chlorine output?

I know if it dips too low the chlorinator will detect it and stop, but what about just before then. Anything different happen chemically? Any less efficient with lower salt?

As long as the SWG does not complain about the salt, light blinking, then it is fine... It will let you know if it is not happy.. Lower "may" create a little less chlorine but I doubt it.. :)

No effect. Post your SWG info in your signature. ..edit found it... If it gets too low you will see some type of warning and a decrease in FC production. Testing with your K-1766 is smart.

Last edited:
For the IntelliChlor...
  • 3600 ppm of salt is recommended for optimum water condition.
  • Low salt concentration below 2600 ppm will cause the unit to turn off
  • High salt concentration above 4500 ppm may cause excessive corrosion or deterioration to pool equipment and surrounding surfaces in and around the pool.
Chlorine production varies with salt ppm a bit. You will get a bit better chlorine output at 3600 ppm then 2800 ppm.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. From what I’m gathering running on the low side is totally fine, just need to watch for alerts if it dips too low (I do loose a little over time from the overflow drain I believe and my screenlogic reports about 200 ppm less than Taylor)

Pre TFP I relied on the cell ‘idiot light’ to tell me when it was low. Most years I needed to add a bag mid season to shut it up.

After TFP i learned that I hovered around 3k and my IC60 worked fine to 2800. With a +/- 200 ppm variance of the K-1766 test, I don’t know if that was truly 2800, Or anywhere between 2600 and 3000, but it did not shut off until I tested 2600.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.