Jul 3, 2020
Coastal Alabama
I was emptying the bag from our pool vac, and found some small (≈5mm) pink-orange shrimp or copepods in the bag. I let the bag dry out before I empty it, so I’m not sure if they’re a different color before they dehydrated. I’ll try to get some pictures next time.

Anyone else ever find aquatic Arthropoda in their pool? We’ve been keeping our FC between 7 and 11. This is our first warm weather since starting up our SWG so we’re fluctuating a little more than I’d like. Wonder if I should raise the FC for a few days just in case.

Attachments

• 24B16F78-9962-4DBC-A131-9F0A41582D14.png
    24B16F78-9962-4DBC-A131-9F0A41582D14.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 20
Wow. Ok, that’s a first! I wonder if your location has anything to do with it? Maybe they were in larvae stage and passed through a bird or something.

I think I’d do SLAM level for 2-3 days, just to make sure.

Reactions: TheBigBlueFrog
Sea monkeys!
Basically. Just a larger species in the same family.

The bad news is that it seems the egg cyst form is resistant to all kinds of chemicals, drought, UV radiation, the vacuum of space...

I don’t think a SLAM is going to get rid of them. The good news is that they seem to be getting sucked up by the pool vac as adults, so I should be able to get them out. I’ll probably have to clean my filter to get rid of any that were small enough to get through the pump strainer.

Probably Lawn Prawns (probably called Lawn Shrimps in the US, but I think Lawn Prawns sounds catchier):

I got them for the first time this summer. They get washed into the pool and die there pretty quickly. Don't think it's anything to be worried about. Just make sure your FC is up, and vacuum them out or let the robot run.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Probably Lawn Prawns (probably called Lawn Shrimps in the US, but I think Lawn Prawns sounds catchier):

I got them for the first time this summer. They get washed into the pool and die there pretty quickly. Don't think it's anything to be worried about. Just make sure your FC is up, and vacuum them out or let the robot run.
I think you're right!

This definitely matches what I've found, and they turn red or orange when they die.

Thanks!

Yep, that's what mine did, too. We sometimes got a bigger load after heavy rains. I'd clean out the skimmer basket, and tell my wife "fire up the barbie, we're having prawns for lunch".

Reactions: TheBigBlueFrog

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.