Show me your Privacy Fences

HmnRcn

Mar 30, 2014
Visalia, CA
Now that the pool is (almost) done, we are starting to think about privacy fences/screens. As creative as everyone is here, I figured I would get a ton of ideas. I’m not a woodworking expert, but I think I can make a fairly basic design structurally sound. Thanks in advance!

Ok, I did leave that pretty vague, didn’t I? We already have a 5ft fence around our property line and we have a 5ft pool fence around the perimeter of the pool. Half the yard is going to be grass. We have a corner lot and a couple of two story neighbors. Here are a couple of pictures that help a little. I will try to get a couple more tomorrow in the daylight.
64ab486f0f93d961e572b53c3c2a6f5a.jpg
5ba78cb2be4cf48137719717c2b2df6f.jpg
934c84f722ca6477058ad67e1f64feff.jpg
fafdf14051e13a61584dfc4b5c06b445.jpg

I already have a semi-plan in mind for something to hide the equipment but any ideas are welcome!

Here's ours. I'm happy with the aluminum but hate pretty much everything about the white vinyl. I don't love the look and it's halfway up a small hill so doesn't give enough privacy from people walking on the sidewalk. We built the pool in the fall and in retrospect I wish I had just done a temporary safety fence around the pool for the winter and dealt with the fence this spring. I may try to move the vinyl up to street level for privacy and just fence in the pool with aluminum if I can squeeze it in the budget.

Would love to hear ideas for hiding pool equipment since that's something I need to tackle this spring. You can see the location of the pad below.

U2hDXFd.jpg

You're fairly overlooked so I'm not sure how much privacy you would get from a fence, especially from the high set neighbours. We are doing a glass fence on two sides, with our boundary paling fences making up the other two sides (all going to plan). I wonder if there's a glass fencing product that's frosted? That would give a nice look, keep it secure for kids and provide privacy from ground level. You could then do a shade sail to give you privacy from the high set houses as Kim suggested. Just a thought.

Here are pics of the cover I’m going to build for my equipment. This is my neighbor and he is going to help me build it.
df240e3c0edaf1769e13bb85555b867f.jpg
c94f955421b2c7168882e4a07fb4bd92.jpg
6bbe0fb7d1d3cccb64e34a18cb86b51b.jpg

Two of my neighbors have the Sun Sails and we have been looking into those. We are also going to be strategically placing some taller plants like Bird of Paradise and some palms. Here is a pic of a little fence that one of our neighbors built. I want to do something like that along the side of the pool where we don’t have much room.
0e8e2ef7a500fa841208030e2c5ed0b6.jpg

This is the house we just sold. We had a 6 foot privacy fence with soaring evergreens in front of it. You would never have known there were homes right behind us.

This is the retaining wall. There was an iron fence with shrubs and willow trees for privacy. (BTW: I would NEVER recommend Curly Willows next to a pool!!! MESSY)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't yet figured out what you want from the new fence? Privacy from overlooking homes? A more attractive fence than the one up there now? More fence elsewhere?

Have you seen Pinterest yet? You can type in "fences" in the search engine on Pinterest and come up with a bazillion pictures to give you ideas. So fast and addictive.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks for all the replies. My wife has spent quite a bit of time on Pinterest showing me fences. We are trying to block the neighbors view into our yard but would like to make it look nice and not like we just put up a big curtain.

Jodie's pool above is my dream! How could you move away from that paradise? You are correct...I cannot see the fence. So here's my next question: The fence by the evergreen trees- was it a cedar fence? vinyl fence? please share. My last question is....by the trees...does a wooden fence get messy with sap? I am just curious.

Mrs Hanson, It was cedar. We did not install it. The evergreen trees were so dense we could not get behind them to the fence. The fence ran the whole perimeter of the yard, Crepe Myrtles along one side and the evergreens on two sides. I'll look for more pictures. I would have lived there FOREVER! But, husbands job moves us every few years and ya gotta go where the work is. Also, with my auto immune and chronic kidney disease I was needing to hire my landscape work out as it was becoming harder and harder to keep up with. Our new house will have a really small yard that I can keep up with on my own and with my hubby.

Here is the rest of the yard where you can see the fence with the Crepe Myrtles.

Wrought Iron gate from the pool area down to the storage area and lower yard (down where the crepe myrtles are)

Lowes or HD carry the 5' x 8' Steel Decorative Fence Panel in black or white if your goal is to build a child safety fence. They just don't last very long if exposed to a sprinkler system. I am bound to replace ours and thinking perhaps some Marine paint might help prevent them from rust. Thoughts?

We have a raised Spa and my neighbor does not like us to see their backyard. Hence, they installed tarp that always get blown by the wind. An agreement has yet to reach for a sky high vinyl fence.

5' x 8' Monroe Navajo Decorative Steel Fence

Newly constructed covered patio with motorized awning. Pool equipment is behind the 8' x 6' Natural Bamboo Rolled fencing from Lowes.

Yeah, kinda of tough spot...not a lot of yard, yet 2 story homes behind. Hmmm, we are kinda similar with respect to wanting privacy with not as much yard to work with as some of our other TFP family :). I think you will need plants that grow up and not out and in layers. Plus being so close to your hardscape and pool you'll want non evasive root systems and evergreens to keep that new sparkly pool of yours leaf free. Good news is in Visalia you'll have some good options other than plants that are susceptible to the occasional freezing. Here is our setup... Dwarf Magnolia and Japanese blueberry for the back screen with podocarpus macrophyllus for the side screen. You could just as easily do palms to get UP 20' and then a med tier in front or in between to get to that 10'-15' mark and then a third tier a the 5'-10'. Find a decent fence as you will you will see it for a few years, and find an even better landscaper as that will last a lifetime! Good luck; and I look forward to seeing what you come up with! FYI...for reference, the podocarpus were 15gal. size and grew about 2' in 5 months(this past June in pic #1 & #2 back to October in #3). Podocarpus gracilior may be a better option for you ...they grow faster and higher and thicker/bushier but do require maintenance once a year to keep them under control...my neighbors not in the pics has a 25' high wall of the gracilior varietal that completely blocks them from the world.

IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_1939.jpg

My wife loves Magnolias but I didn’t know they made a dwarf variety. We are attempting to keep everything as tropical as we can. I think we are going to go with some Red Tip Photinia either just outside our property fence or just outside our pool fence. We are also looking at some strategically placed Birds of Paradise. We just ended up with a little less flower bed than we were expecting.

View attachment 73296
I don't disagree with others who have pointed out that a privacy fence might not be enough for you. But you asked for photos, so here is what I have on one side. We have a height limitation of six feet locally, but both me and the neighboring property owner wanted higher. So we extended the fence with a couple feet of lattice, which we are growing vines on. Hope it helps you or someone else in similar position.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.