Should you shock, not SLAM, when opening regardless?

marsui

Jun 12, 2016
West Babylon, NY
Last year I remember reading that as long as you close your pool properly you shouldn't need to shock when you open. Based on that last year when I opened, the pool looked clean, I added chlorine and tried to balance the water, but I couldn't maintain my chlorine levels so I had to eventually shock. When I say I closed this pool Crystal clear...that is an understatement. On top of that I added a gallon of bleach just before covering.

So I closed again crystal clear last fall, I'm wondering if I should just add shock the pool right away regardless to avoid any issues.

I plan on opening later this week, I was thinking of adding water under the cover so I can start the pump right after removing all my winterizing plates, I was also thinking of loading up my floating chlorinator tonight a few days before I open and try to raise chlorine levels before I take the cover off.

Should I Be expecting to have detectable chrorine levels from the chlorine I added just before I closed last year, or is the assumption that will all be gone over the winter even though the pool was covered.

It is definitely a bit late to be opening. If your water is still clear, add chlorine, balance the chemicals and see how your chlorine usage goes. I have never slammed or shocked and never had a spec of algae in my pool. I opened in April though. I also add a quart of Polyquat at closing. Your gallon of bleach at closing I doubt you will measure any of that at all. Whatever you choose to do, I would get chlorine in your water asap. What is the water temp? Gotta be in the 70s by now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.