Should my spa have an open hole between pool & spa?

boots

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
Jacksonville/FL
My spa has an open hole, kinda like a return opening between the pool and spa. So whatever my water in the pool is it is the same in the spa. Does this make since? Do I screw on something to close the hole so the spa water can be different? First time owner here. The spa also has it's own skimmer, but both the pool skimmer and the spa skimmer return thru the pool pump which is 1.65 hp. I wonder why my spa doesn't have it's own pump. Reading other comments in this forum I see a lot of spa's do. I think mine is just a cheap version.

IMG_1691.jpgIMG_1695.jpg

OK Poolguy, so it's not important that my pool and spa water stay separate? Sorry to sound like an idiot, just trying to understand my pool. I thought that spa's had to be drained periodically. How is that possible if the equalizer port allows water to be exchanged between the two. Do you know of a thread or article that I can read that explains the workings? Thanks.

OK, understand about the drain cover. Had heard about these kinds of things happening. My main drain is the same so I will check into getting that replaced as well. So do I just measure diameter from screw to screw to get the correct measurement? Thanks.

Boots,

You don't normally drain an in-ground spa like yours... If it were a standalone spa, then you need to drain it about every 90 days..

To keep the spa from going stagnate you probably have a valve that lets a little fresh chlorinated water into your spa all the time... I would think the hole just allows the water to circulate back into the pool. Unless there is a spillover that I just can't see in your pictures..

I'm sure PoolGuy will let us know if this is not the case..

Thanks,

Jim R.

OK Poolguy, so it's not important that my pool and spa water stay separate? Sorry to sound like an idiot, just trying to understand my pool. I thought that spa's had to be drained periodically. How is that possible if the equalizer port allows water to be exchanged between the two. Do you know of a thread or article that I can read that explains the workings? Thanks.

I guess this is the thread. Between the balancing hole in the wall & regular operation, I see no need to dump the spa. You may have read about stand-alone acrylic spas or hot tubs getting dumped quarterly, they are a different animal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.