Should I run the robot before the pool company opens the pool?

lordicarus

May 23, 2022
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Put in a pool last year, so far so good. Had a company close the pool for me and they are coming back in about 10 days to open the pool. I just opened a corner of the cover to drain about an inch of water since we've had some heavy rain and the level is almost overflowing the skimmer. The pool is very green, lots of algae on the sides and bottom.

Should I wait to run the robot until they open the pool or should I start it to try to clean up a bit before they get here? Not sure if stirring things up will make it worse. Pool has a SWG and they put chlorine in before closing but it's reading zero at this point, no surprise.

Edit: I just found a similar question from someone else. I guess the only additional thing I'm wondering is if I should throw in some bleach to try to kill off the algae or just run the robot to clean what it can but otherwise leave it alone?

Last edited:
Where are you located? Most places should have already opened their pool. I would for sure start chlorinating with bleach. The robot isn't going to do much unless you have leaves you want to remove. Have you considered doing your own maintenance?

For now keep the robot out the pool. It will get clogged up so fast, you'll be spending more time clearing Robbie the robot that would be better spend in other areas.

If you don't have a Taylor 2006-C of TFP test kit its time to order. Its impossible to maintain water chemistry without one.
Uncover and empty several several gallons of bleach in the pool to start, and brush, brush, brush the walls, steps, bottom of the pool. Skim out what you can.
Need to get geared up for the SLAM process, as this is the best way (only way) to clear up the pool besides a drain and replace.

Reactions: turboixxi
Where are you located? Most places should have already opened their pool. I would for sure start chlorinating with bleach. The robot isn't going to do much unless you have leaves you want to remove. Have you considered doing your own maintenance?
NY region. Wanted to open it sooner but I wanted to have someone open it up for me the first time and they got booked out a lot sooner than I expected. Definitely planning to do this myself next year. The pool builder didn't provide anyone to explain the equipment fully, which is my only complaint about what they did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.