Should I replace my liner

Feb 25, 2021
Central Virginia
I am thinking that I should just drain the pool clean/disinfect the existing liner and try and pull the sagging areas back into the coping. We just moved into our house not too long ago and inherited the pool in this condition.

I appreciate your time and thanks for all your insight!

Attachments

• liner replacement.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 82
Welcome to TFP.

I don't know what you intend to do to clean/disinfect the existing liner. But draining an old liner pool is never recommended. The liner can shift and you cannot get it back in place.

Our SLAM Process has cleaned up pools looking a lot worse. You need a good test lit like the Taylor K-2006C or TF100 Test Kits . With the TF-100 get the Mini-XL (best value) as you will be doing a lot of testing during the SLAM Process. Also get the Smart Stir that will make testing easier and more accurate.

Post some pics, not in a PDF, of the sagging liner areas.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Reactions: Casey
I would not drain any liner pool unless you intend, 100%, on replacing it.

oh goodie! A groty pool to turn in to a sparkling oasis. Fun! :party:
Seriously, we can clean this up and you won't believe how sparkling clear it can be. We dig helping folks do this stuff, all we ask is you feed us pictures as you progress.

Maddie :flower:

SLAMming the pool is cleaning and disinfecting the liner. Looks like you can see a good 12 inches deep. Last summer I started out with 2-3 inches visibility. Pool is perfect now. Well, it was when I closed it, and it will be again after it thaws - it's a bit chilly (frozen) right now. SLAM process just works.

I wouldn't worry about the water that got behind the liner. It'll drain away. I would get the corner reattached. If the last photo is the lowest your water level has gone down, you probably will be alright if you add water back to the proper level. It does look like the liner is fading below the water line. Until you clean the whole pool and get the water nice and clear, you won't know if it is an aesthetics issue or if there is a real problem.

Agree on getting it vacuumed amd slamming it asap. With the cold its gonna be impossible for a novice to get that liner back in. Make a little roof with a garbage can lid and something heavy that wont blow or roll into pool to keep rain out. Or plastic and tape for now. Worry about cleaning it up then we can assess liner condition when we can see it. It is faded down low but that could be chemicals too high bleaching liner out, especially on cheap liners they fade fast with high FC levels

Alright, you all have inspired me, lets do this, learning by doing !! I'm going to keep a photo journal at the link above. The water level is at the lowest its ever been, its right below the return jet now. I can easily add a couple hundred gallons right away if needed. There is a lot of leaves and sediment on the bottom. My next step is to get a trash pump to screen out as much of the debris as I can before SLAMming it.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A lot of us are not going to click through to your album. So if you want comments or advice on what you are doing it is best to post your pics directly on this thread.

Reactions: TexasRain
Scoop out as much of the debris as you can and fill the pool do you can get the pump and filter going.

Find your best local source for 10+% liquid chlorine. You may need a bunch of gallons for your SLAM Process.

Reactions: Newdude
If you can’t see the bottom, scooping blindly is 1000X better than not scooping. You’ll get most of it but it will just take more tries.

So, in order to effectively get the leaves and dirt out ( not kill my back lol) I need to get in there and scoop it out with a basket. I'm willing to say there is literally a ton of sludge in there. I would like to wear some rubber boots, but I've heard that is a no no in the pool. Is it really that much of a risk damaging the liner by wearing shoes in the pool?

Haven't ordered any test kits yet, probably going to go with the TF-100 XL option also going to pick up some HDX Chlorinating Liquid at Home Depot

It may pay for you to see if a local pool company has a standalone pool vaccuming rig with its own pump and in a few hours they can vacuum the sludge out without risking your pool pump or filter. There are times when it pays to get a pro with the right equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.