Should I increase CYA?

My CYA is about 30 based on the TF-100 tests. I usually keep it there so I don't have to keep FC levels higher than 6 and use too much bleach, but I noticed that by the end of the day my FC is about 1 or 1.5, and then I have to put about 1.5 gallons of 7.5% bleach in per day to restore my levels. The pool gets full sun all day every day here in NY. If I raise the CYA, will I burn less off during the day and use less bleach even though I have to keep the pool at a higher FC level?

You can also try an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae eating your bleach.
Thanks. I slammed the pool and it seemed to hold well over night. I might try again just to make sure before I ramp up CYA. Last year I always tested in the morning and added. This year I was curious and tested at 7pm and saw it was super low. So unsure if it was always doing this.

Thank you. I'm apprehensive after having chlorine lock my first year so i tread lightly with this stuff!
"Chlorine lock" is a myth. What usually happens is your CYA gets too high from over use of trichlor tabs or dichlor use. And as the CYA gets higher, most people don't raise the FC levels to compensate for the higher CYA levels - the pool gets away from them - they go to the pool store and the guy/gal tells them its "chlorine lock" cause PS doesn't recognize the FC/CYA relationship.

If you are using liquid chlorine, your CYA won't rise unless you add stabilizer. Bump your CYA up to 40 and see how it works. Use the FC/CYA Levels to dose accordingly. You don't actually use more chlorine for maintainence if the CYA is a bit higher. It's just the initial dose is higher to get you to your target range based on the CYA level.

Reactions: Wendy3tkl
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.