Should I floc or not?

Jul 5, 2018
Pana,IL
This is my first year opening the pool and it has been a nightmare! We have ground water issues because of excessive rain. I've finally taken care of that but now I have an extremely cloudy pool. The chlorine level is very high but rest of the levels are good. The pool store is recommending Floc but I'm scared to try it. We are on a well so I won't be able to run the hose while I'm vacuuming to waste, I would just have to refill after. I've been fighting it for about a week. Please help:cry: any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance

You answered your own question. You don't have the water to keep the level up, so don;t vacuum to waste. Which means don't floc.

I'd like to see some test results and know what kind f equipment you have. After a week you should see some kind of improvement. Let's figure out why not.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

TFP never recommends the use of floc.

Also "chlorine very high " does not tell us anything. We need a full set of test results as what we teach often does not match the pool store.

Check out ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and the FC/CYA Levels which shows you what your FC should be in relation to your CYA.

Likely you need to follow the SLAM Process process but that requires one of the recommended test kits: Test Kits Compared

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You've talked me out of the Floc so should I just keep doing what I've been doing and hope for improvement? Buy one of the recommended test kits and let you all know the results?
You've spoken the magic words! :goodjob:

Yes, a test kit that gives accurate readings as often and whenever you need them is essential. If one of us were there in person, we'dwhip out our kit and run some tests and get things figured out. But since we're not, you have to do it for us.

Anyway.... if the pool's thirst for bleach has been quenched, mostly, it's time to improve filtration and circulation. Maybe leave the vacuum don in the bottom . turned sideways or upside down to grab the stuff as it sinks. If you read the SLAM Process article, you'll see a reference to adding DE to a sand filter. If you've got a sand filter, that can help a lot. Kindly fill out your signature so we know what type of filter you have. It saves a lot of "ifs"

Yes sirreee, you need a good test kit. How the pool store decided to call CYA "29" is beyond comprehension! Once you get one of the test kits we recommend (and by the way, make no money from the sale) you'll see how goofy pool store testing really can be. www.tftestkits.net Test Kits Compared
We need to know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

as well as everything you've added to the pool. Some products cause more problems than they fix (like that FLOC idea) so we need to have an idea about what's been used up to this point.

You've got a big investment in that big honkin' pool... we're happy to help you take care of it.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks for the help, please forgive my ignorance. We had a horrible pool building experience last year which drug on for 5 months and concluded with the builder taking off without explaining anything about the system. We've been relying on friends that have pools but this cloudiness issue has everyone confused.

Pish-posh! We have *all* been there, believe me! I think Pool Builders are the worst at explaining new pool set ups to the new owners.
Just post your questions, just by asking you actually help others who read these posts and wonder the same things you do.
Maddie :flower:

Hi, welcome to TFP! If you could add the additional pool information to your signature, along with the type of pool surface (plaster, fiberglass, vinyl liner) that would help us help you.

bosborn, When you go to add the DE make sure you will be able to hang around to babysit it. Each filter is different in how much DE they like. Make sure your pressure gauge is in working order as it is very important for this process.

Start with 1/4 cup. Wait about 30 mins watching the pressure gauge of and on. If the pressure shoots up then stop the pump and do a back wash. If it does not go up at all then add another 1/4 cup. Keep this up until you see a slight raise in the pressure.

Please share a pic of your water so we can really see what you are dealing with.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.