Should I empty pool for deck renovation?

Apr 25, 2017
Tucson
I am repairing my pool deck which entails power washing to remove all paint (who knows why it was painted) and loose decking material (concrete texture). There is a lot of material getting in the pool. I currently have everything running, but I am thinking of draining to pool to make it easier to clean and work on (especially the cantilever, where all the decking is coming off). I am concerned that draining the pool (plaster) will cause more problems. There is a lot of deck so this will take a while. I live in Tucson. Any thoughts, ideas, and advice would be appreciated.

Ooof. Sounds like a darned if you do/don’t situation. At least it’s the off season so you don’t have to worry about overlapping the 4th of July party. My vote would be to grab as many of the bigger pieces/debris as you can with the net, vacuum as much as you can get that’s left and let the filter clean the small particles.

Ooof. Sounds like a darned if you do/don’t situation. At least it’s the off season so you don’t have to worry about overlapping the 4th of July party. My vote would be to grab as many of the bigger pieces/debris as you can with the net, vacuum as much as you can get that’s left and let the filter clean the small particles.
That is what I am trying to doing now. Unfortunately the net has a hard time with most of the particles, so I may have to get into the pool. Not looking forward to that!

Yeah man. You’ll be taking one for the team for sure. You can probably brush most of the stuff to one area if you turn the pump off and let it all settle. Then if you do have to get in it will be quicker at least.

There is a lot of deck so this will take a while.

Draining the pool has risks. Leaving the pool empty for a while increases the risks.

I would keep water in the pool during the work and see how much you can get cleaned after. You can always drain it when the work is done and immediately refill it.

Watch your filter pressure and clean your filter when the pressure rises by 25% from clean pressure. Check your water chemistry regularly.

Reactions: mguzzy
Yeah man. You’ll be taking one for the team for sure. You can probably brush most of the stuff to one area if you turn the pump off and let it all settle. Then if you do have to get in it will be quicker at least.
I have been working on the deck for a couple of weeks. About 1/3 done is all. I am going to vacuum and then clean my filters this weekend. Hopefully that won't be too depressing. I have been looking at wetsuits to see if that is an option to get into the pool to work on the cantilever.

Draining the pool has risks. Leaving the pool empty for a while increases the risks.

I would keep water in the pool during the work and see how much you can get cleaned after. You can always drain it when the work is done and immediately refill it.

Watch your filter pressure and clean your filter when the pressure rises by 25% from clean pressure. Check your water chemistry regularly.
That is what I was worried about, draining the pool. I just swept the pool and I got most of it out so I will keep going with that. I was planning to let the pH rise a bit during this project. Maybe 8ish. Is that a problem for the short term?

I would like to see a complete set of test results before I say pH of 8ish s okay for a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.