Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi all,

I had a stain that I couldn't remove from my pool wall, and after doing a Jack's Magic Stain ID test I determined that a Jack's Magic "O2 Safe Shock & Stain Solution #2 Treatment" should work. I went ahead and did the treatment about 10 weeks ago. Oh boy am I regretting it! The instructions explain that there can be false FC readings for 3-4 weeks and I was willing to deal with that, but what the instructions didn't say is that the treatments result in a high nitrogen level (which is what causes the false FC readings) that makes it quite easy for algae to grow.

I've been dealing with algae issues non-stop. Over 3+ years I only had 1 algae bloom, but in just the 10 weeks since doing this treatment I've had 5 algae issues (all being more intense than the one I had prior to the treatment). I keep having to SLAM to control it, making it harder to have water that's safe to swim in. I contacted Jack's Magic and they said I should just be patient and keep waiting for the nitrogen to dissipate. They said that I could try doing just a O2 Safe Shock treatment to get the nitrogen out of the water faster, but wouldn't guarantee that would fix the issue. Aside from their iffy response, I don't want to purchase more of their product to fix an issue their product caused.

Any opinions on what I should do at this point? Should I just keep waiting? Should I dump all or maybe half of the water in the pool to start fresh? I have a large pool so I was trying to avoid that, but will if I have to. Should I do the O2 treatment?

Thanks for any advise/opinions!

@mattchase00 may be of help.

Post a full set of test results.

These threads may help

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. Based on what's being said in there, it looks like I need to SLAM until the FC and CC start to get into normal range, right?

My current levels are:
FC: 0
CC: 14 (it's elevated because I was SLAMing to get rid of the algae I mentioned)
CYA: 35 (I know this is low for a salt pool - I keep it around 35 to 40 so that my IntelliChem works as far as ORP measurements go)
pH: 7.4
TA: 80
CH: 375

14 is very high for a CC. May end up buying a tanker full of chlorine before it's done. If this was my nightmare, I'd drain as much as I could safely and refill the pool. I looked at your stats before I read n said... ohhhh that's a big pool. I dont know if my answer will be the popular answer but man... that's a big pool.

14 is very high for a CC. May end up buying a tanker full of chlorine before it's done. If this was my nightmare, I'd drain as much as I could safely and refill the pool. I looked at your stats before I read n said... ohhhh that's a big pool. I dont know if my answer will be the popular answer but man... that's a big pool.

Yeah, I'm going to drain...going to try draining at least half of the water as I'm nervous to empty the entire pool with how much rain we've been getting (avoiding the pool popping out of the ground). I've continued shocking the past couple of days and am going through a lot of chlorine and still having the issue. I'm going to wait a day or two though as it's really hot and sunny today and tomorrow. I'm thinking it would be better to drain on cloudy days so that exposed plaster doesn't crack, right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.