Should I be removing the drain plug on my DE filter when I backwash?

Brenda Paw

Bronze Supporter
Apr 29, 2019
Georgia
I have tried to get Pentair to give me backwash instruction and they just drop the ball. It's as if Pentair doesn't want to share this information. So I'm here. I have watched a room full of Youtube videos showing backwash and in only one did they remove the drain plug and that was in the last backwash at the end of the procedure. Since then I cannot find that video again. But when I disassembled and cleaned my filter, I was aghast at all the DE in there, especially on the bottom. So I wondering if I've been backwashing wrong when I do not remove the drain plug?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 11.46.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 11.46.38 AM.png
    623.3 KB · Views: 9
I have a Hayward DE filter, so there may be a difference, but if just backwashing, I don’t remove the drain plug. I only do that when fully cleaning the filter. I’ll pull the grids out and rinse out the housing, pushing all of the excess DE out the drain plug hole, in addition to rinsing the grids.

Reactions: Brenda Paw
Brenda,

I have never heard of anyone removing the drain plug when just backwashing a DE filter. I know that I have never done it.

How often do you have to backwash? More to the point, what tells you it is time to backwash?

How much DE do you add after you backwash?

Thanks,

Jim R.

You don’t remove the drain plug when backwashing. Also, backwashing doesn’t completely clean the filter nor does it remove all the DE Powder, which is why you charge the filter with only 80% of the required amount of DE Powder after every backwash. Otherwise you will keep adding an extra amount of DE Powder after every backwash, clogging the filter with excess DE Powder.

To completely clean the filter, you can remove the drain plug to completely drain the filter of water and then undo the clamp and remove the grid assembly and rinse the grids with a hose. Only then do you charge with 100% of the required amount of DE Powder.

Reactions: Brenda Paw
I have tried to get Pentair to give me backwash instruction and they just drop the ball. It's as if Pentair doesn't want to share this information. So I'm here. I have watched a room full of Youtube videos showing backwash and in only one did they remove the drain plug and that was in the last backwash at the end of the procedure. Since then I cannot find that video again. But when I disassembled and cleaned my filter, I was aghast at all the DE in there, especially on the bottom. So I wondering if I've been backwashing wrong when I do not remove the drain plug?
Drain plug is just that. Want to wash all the DE and debris out, open it, even though Pentair put it in the most ridiculous of places (same with my cartridge filter). Winterizing the pool and need to get all the water out, open it. Other than that, leave it alone. There are several posts on this forum of ones that broke it trying to remove it, or trying to stop it from leaking after removing it.
You can scoop out by hand enough leftover DE that the little bit left won't affect anything. Its even better to unscrew the bulkhead fittings and tip the lower tank over to really clean if you want than to mess with that cap.

Reactions: Brenda Paw and Oly
Brenda,

I have never heard of anyone removing the drain plug when just backwashing a DE filter. I know that I have never done it.

How often do you have to backwash? More to the point, what tells you it is time to backwash?

How much DE do you add after you backwash?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim R.,

I backwash when my pressure gauge gets to 12 because "clean" is 9 to 10. After opening and cleaning all the DE out of the filter and off all the grids, I add 6 pounds. After a backwash I add 4.8 pounds. I saw someone in one video open their drain plug when backwashing and have been curious about it ever since. I appreciate your response!

Brenda

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.