Should I abandon my Inline Chlorinator

Could be. You do get rain so that will keep things in check. As long as it does not go higher, all is good.
Ok good to know. Ya i just checked with my wife and they had us add 11lbs mixed with water into the pool. Looking back that makes me cringe just taking their word for it and not doing my own research.

Yep sounds like it...you guys will the ones i take advice from now dont worry haha
Can't remember if it was discussed but the PoolMath app is a lifesaver to track chemical additions and to understand what happens when you add chemicals. It also tracks all your pool test data.

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
CYA 60!!! :cry:
I'm not sure if you're aware, but higher CYA levels are recommended for saltwater pools. 60 is a good starting point for SWGs and not too far out of range for chlorine pools. Everything is looking great.

Reactions: jlamb5990
Just have to keep my FC around 8
Yes. Please allow me to rehash my dislike for the word minimum for the bazillionth time. (Apologies to all whom are sick of hearing it). Minumum is not ok. It is a defcon 5, all hands on deck situation.

'Target range' is designed to allow you about a days worth of chlorine loss, and remain above minimum for tomorrows dose. This time of year demand is next to nothing. 1-2 ppm will last for days. In the peak season your daily loss will probably be in the 3-4 ppm range. (The back half of the season, demand sloooowly decreases each day).

Things will be warming up soon in the south and you may not be totally at one with your pool yet. You can go all the way up to SLAM level (40% of your CYA) without harm to swimmers or equipment. There is zero leeway below minimum. (Swamp, or at the very least, halfway down the road to the swamp). Use the above target area as a safety net when need be, whether a small get together, a big storm coming, or you just know you'll be real busy tomorrow and spent by the time you think of the pool. No need to go anywhere near SLAM, but an extra days dose at adding time will leave you tons of leeway for whatever comes up. For whatever uneducated reason i decided at the time, i 'ran hot' while learning. It worked so well i never stopped.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but higher CYA levels are recommended for saltwater pools. 60 is a good starting point for SWGs and not too far out of range for chlorine pools. Everything is looking great.
ya i read here that SW pools like a higher CYA, I just have read so much about wanting your CYA around 40ish to leave room for it to rise if you need to use pucks or the chlorinator while on vacation. I was just a little shocked any annoyed that my PBs antics got it to 60 when its literally only been filled for a month.

Yes. Please allow me to rehash my dislike for the word minimum for the bazillionth time. (Apologies to all whom are sick of hearing it). Minumum is not ok. It is a defcon 5, all hands on deck situation.

'Target range' is designed to allow you about a days worth of chlorine loss, and remain above minimum for tomorrows dose. This time of year demand is next to nothing. 1-2 ppm will last for days. In the peak season your daily loss will probably be in the 3-4 ppm range. (The back half of the season, demand sloooowly decreases each day).

Things will be warming up soon in the south and you may not be totally at one with your pool yet. You can go all the way up to SLAM level (40% of your CYA) without harm to swimmers or equipment. There is zero leeway below minimum. (Swamp, or at the very least, halfway down the road to the swamp). Use the above target area as a safety net when need be, whether a small get together, a big storm coming, or you just know you'll be real busy tomorrow and spent by the time you think of the pool. No need to go anywhere near SLAM, but an extra days dose at adding time will leave you tons of leeway for whatever comes up. For whatever uneducated reason i decided at the time, i 'ran hot' while learning. It worked so well i never stopped.
wow great to know. others may be sick of it but im happy you said it because i would have absolutely treated the minimum as an acceptable range and even to dip below to "not be a deal" and just something to correct the next day.

the pool store said my original FC reading of 3.4 was great and i was on the right track. Sounds like that would have been an eventual swap situation!

Or even to dip below to "not be a deal" and just something to correct the next day.
Super glad we got this out of the way then. (y) Again. The term is just waaaaaaay too acceptable-y to me. No beuno. Not by a long shot. If you get near it, get your rear into target or slightly above, and pronto.

the pool store said my original FC reading of 3.4 was great and i was on the right track. Sounds like that would have been an eventual swap situation
They don't recognize the CYA / FC relationship. Most say CYA is ok up ro 200 with the FC remaining the same 1-2 ppm reccomended. You, on the otherhand, will follow the FC/CYA Levels religously.
I just have read so much about wanting your CYA around 40ish to leave room for it to rise if you need to use pucks or the chlorinator while on vacation
You'll probably need a 40 to keep with harsher UV down south when the summer gets hot. And great news !! LA historically gets 20 inches of rain from Feb through May. A 1/3 or more free water exchange coming your way to drop you to 40. It burns off a bit each month too and you'll be adding some in no time.

We've seen screwups well over 100 that just weren't going to fix themselves this season or next. Ya did good if you had to goof.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
*also. You just saved youself a green pool by learning to stay away from minimum. That is the lesson that brings us the most amount of students. You have a smaller pool, but even so just earned $75 to donate to the SWG fund, that would have gone to killing algae. ;)

*also. You just saved youself a green pool by learning to stay away from minimum. That is the lesson that brings us the most amount of students. You have a smaller pool, but even so just earned $75 to donate to the SWG fund, that would have gone to killing algae. ;)
After this lesson I can’t see why anyone wouldn’t donate to this site. I’ll be contributing for sure.

Also good and bad news. Bad news is I just fired up the spa for me and the wife while we put the kids to bed and got an alert on my phone that the pump had an error. Turns out the dummies that came by for their last service call before turning the reigns over to us forgot to turn on the switch for the actuator on the spa side valve. Walked outside to a drained spa and an overflowed pool. Just switched it all back on and fixed their screw up. Have water flowing back into the spa now via pool mode but will probably have to top off the spa with some fresh water.

Guess that CYA will be be dropping sooner than I thought! 😂

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.