Should I abandon my Inline Chlorinator

Don't worry about the test results. You'll get by until Thursday. All we want to do is keep the pool chlorinated until then.
Curiosity got the best of me and I went to the pool store to get the water tested again since removing all the pucks from the Chlorinator and going manual. Curious what your opinion Is on these results and if there are even worth trusting (especially the cya). We have literally only had our pool for 3 weeks. Is it possible the cya got this high this fast?

Attachments

• 7612272D-2858-4E22-9126-A98991F330E2.jpeg
    7612272D-2858-4E22-9126-A98991F330E2.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 29
We have literally only had our pool for 3 weeks. Is it possible the cya got this high this fast?

Pool store results are unreliable so we don't give water chemistry advice based on pool store results.

It doesn't matter. It is what it is. Once you get your test kit and your own test results we will figure it out.

Reactions: jlamb5990 and KJB1
Curiosity got the best of me and I went to the pool store to get the water tested again since removing all the pucks from the Chlorinator and going manual. Curious what your opinion Is on these results and if there are even worth trusting (especially the cya). We have literally only had our pool for 3 weeks. Is it possible the cya got this high this fast?
Your tests will be best when you get your test kit. When I started using LC, my CYA was at 70ppm. I just had to run my FC at a higher level per the FC/CYA Levels.

Once you get it in proper range of FC, then you add sufficient LC to offset the lost due to UV and other factors. Since you are in So. Louisiana, you will probably get some ran between now and April which will help in dilution of your CYA level. So once you test your CYA a couple of times then we can guide you how to lower it. For example, I eventually lowered mine when we had a big rainstorm predicted and I used that as motivation to drain some water and refill with rainwater and tap water. Also, since it was overcast skies, I minimized direct sun on the exposed plaster.

It would be best to start the summer at 40ppm CYA to allow for pucks usage if you go on vacation for a week or more.

This is the approximate effect of each puck 👇 how many have u used?
View attachment 388529
So our PB loaded up the Chlorinator with about 8 or so pucks when he set us up. They also added granulated CYA to the pool during start up. I took all of the pucks out last night and it looks like they were all still there but partially melted. I’d say that conservatively each puck had dissolved about 1/4 or so of its total starting place inside the Chlorinator . He also put two pucks in our skimmer basket which I took out. About 1 of those had dissolved.

Your tests will be best when you get your test kit. When I started using LC, my CYA was at 70ppm. I just had to run my FC at a higher level per the FC/CYA Levels.

Once you get it in proper range of FC, then you add sufficient LC to offset the lost due to UV and other factors. Since you are in So. Louisiana, you will probably get some ran between now and April which will help in dilution of your CYA level. So once you test your CYA a couple of times then we can guide you how to lower it. For example, I eventually lowered mine when we had a big rainstorm predicted and I used that as motivation to drain some water and refill with rainwater and tap water. Also, since it was overcast skies, I minimized direct sun on the exposed plaster.

It would be best to start the summer at 40ppm CYA to allow for pucks usage if you go on vacation for a week or more.
Perfect. I’ll report back after my test kit comes in. It actually got bumped a day earlier and will be here Wednesday!

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
So our PB loaded up the Chlorinator with about 8 or so pucks when he set us up. They also added granulated CYA to the pool during start up. I took all of the pucks out last night and it looks like they were all still there but partially melted. I’d say that conservatively each puck had dissolved about 1/4 or so of its total starting place inside the Chlorinator . He also put two pucks in our skimmer basket which I took out. About 1 of those had dissolved.
You never want to put the pucks in the skimmer as it not great for any equipment upstream.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You never want to put the pucks in the skimmer as it not great for any equipment upstream.
Ya being a first time pool owner I definitely should have done more research but my instinct was to trust the PB. He’s done it for many years and had excellent references. We were also acting as the GC on the build of our house so my mind was kind all over the place and the pool was one thing I felt to just leave to the professional. I guess it was a ignorant bliss moment but now I’m all in on learning and excited to get this thing under control.

Reactions: Newdude
i feel like my PB chastised a Salt Water system and also the people at the pool store testing the water gasped a sigh of relief when i said we did not have a salt water system
If you think their business model through, a SWG makes you a one-and-done customer. If they didn't sell it to you, you are a none-and-done customer.

When properly monitored and dialed in, you'll be producing your own chlorine daily. All those trips to the pool store that you won't be making takes away their chances to tell you what's wrong with your pool, and sell you the simple generic chemicals in a fancy expensive bag.

The SWG doesn't forget to add chlorine daily. Nor does it end up too tired to add it after a long day of work and running the kids all over town for activities. As such, you are less apt to have low chlorine issues that lead to algae so they will miss the chance to sell you shock, flocc or some other crock.

You will need a MA source with the SWG as you manage your PH, but you'll walk in the pool store already knowing you want *one* thing. Or you'll just grab some at HD/Lowes while you're already there and skip the pool store altogether.

With no customers to fleece, it's no wonder to me that so many pool stores are against SWGs. Many PBs have a store to maintain the built pools, so many also aren't a fan.

If you think their business model through, a SWG makes you a one-and-done customer. If they didn't sell it to you, you are a none-and-done customer.

When properly monitored and dialed in, you'll be producing your own chlorine daily. All those trips to the pool store that you won't be making takes away their chances to tell you what's wrong with your pool, and sell you the simple generic chemicals in a fancy expensive bag.

The SWG doesn't forget to add chlorine daily. Nor does it end up too tired to add it after a long day of work and running the kids all over town for activities. As such, you are less apt to have low chlorine issues that lead to algae so they will miss the chance to sell you shock, flocc or some other crock.

You will need a MA source with the SWG as you manage your PH, but you'll walk in the pool store already knowing you want *one* thing. Or you'll just grab some at HD/Lowes while you're already there and skip the pool store altogether.

With no customers to fleece, it's no wonder to me that so many pool stores are against SWGs. Many PBs have a store to maintain the built pools, so many also aren't a fan.
Makes total sense. Wish I would’ve found this site 4 months ago! Oh well live and learn. Plan now is to manage and learn the basics of pool chemistry and how everything works together while I slowly save up for a SWG.

Is that something you need a professional to install or can it be a DIY?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can do it with some basic DIY skills. Having worked with PVC in the past helps. You'll want to plan out placement of the cell, flow switch and control panel. The SWG should be installed after the heater on the return side. You can probably cut out the inline chlorinator and replace with the SWG. When the time comes, ask for help. There are plenty of DIY install videos and posts to refer to.

Reactions: jlamb5990
Ya being a first time pool owner I definitely should have done more research but my instinct was to trust the PB. He’s done it for many years and had excellent references.
Don't be too hard on your PB. He's probably had to deal with complaints from customers about damage to saltwater pools caused by poor maintenance and bad water chemistry.

^^^^^^^ there is TONS of that too. PB leaves the customer who does not pay attention to the pool thinking its 'set it and forget it' And let's be honest. We all get lazy at times also. Lol.

Makes total sense. Wish I would’ve found this site 4 months ago! Oh well live and learn. Plan now is to manage and learn the basics of pool chemistry and how everything works together while I slowly save up for a SWG.

A total moron can install a SWCG - I can attest, I’m that moron!
I wouldn’t wait on the SWCG - in your climate, the pool can get away from you quickly.

• Love
🙋‍♂️

*nominates self as proof that any idiot can EASILY learn basic pool chemistry.

Be forewarned when the kit comes, it overwhelms alot of folks with the simplest of instructions when read line by line. Glance at the sheet as a whole and it might as well be rocket science. I documented my actual experience (link below) after the fact to help others in the same shoes. The tests are stupid easy. Don't let yourself make them difficult.

I was set up the same as you....inline chlorinator with pucks in it. Once they dissolved, I just did not refill them and started using liquid chlorine.

I used the inline and pucks when we went on vacation recently. I got my FC up to 10-12 ppm and then added some pucks in and adjusted it to a lower water flow for slower dissolving rate. We got back and pool was in great shape, although it's winter so FC loss was minimal. I think a summer (Jun-Aug) vacation is where I'll be a bit more concerned as the sun here in Houston eats up the FC fast.

^^^^^^^ there is TONS of that too. PB leaves the customer who does not pay attention to the pool thinking its 'set it and forget it' And let's be honest. We all get lazy at times also. Lol.
Oh ya I totally get that! but with all the information I’ve gathered here I feel like you could potentially field just as many complaints from people who are wondering why their water is green even though the FC is in the “correct readings” from the tests they do or from the pool store. Answer obviously being high CYA levels but inline Chlorinators running as your main source seems like a one way ticket to those complaints. Mind boggling.

A total moron can install a SWCG - I can attest, I’m that moron!
I wouldn’t wait on the SWCG - in your climate, the pool can get away from you quickly.
Yea it’s not so much the time as the financial investment. Ill store some rainy day money aside and should ready by pool season to add one in.

but with all the information I’ve gathered here I feel like you could potentially field just as many complaints from people who are wondering why their water is green even though the FC is in the “correct readings” from the tests they do or from the pool store. Answer obviously being high CYA levels but inline Chlorinators running as your main source seems like a one way ticket to those complaints.
Stick around. We will have 100s of these exact scenerio in the spring. MY FC is *spot on* at 3 and I shouldn't have algae. The pool store says my 175 CYA is in range. So why do I have a swamp ?

You sir/madam, are a quick learner. So Bravo. (y)

You can help us with the difficult struggle of making them realize they have gotten terrible advice, without hurting their pride/ego, *before* they've learned to trust us. It's fun to say the least.

I got my FC up to 10-12 ppm and then added some pucks in and adjusted it to a lower water flow for slower dissolving rate. We got back and pool was in great shape, although it's winter so FC loss was minimal. I think a summer (Jun-Aug) vacation is where I'll be a bit more concerned as the sun here in Houston eats up the FC fast.
Throughout the summer of 2021 I left for several 7-20 day excursions. I increased my FC using LC to near "SLAM" level for my CYA level and then added 3-5 pucks to a floater that stayed in the pool. This worked out fine. I did have a neighbor help one time when I extended an excursion who added some additional LC for me to "just to be safe" until I got back home. So, use of LC and using pucks (as needed) does help get through extended periods away from the pool.

A SWCG is still in my future, just contemplating which one, the availability and overall cost. Right now, I use LC from Pinch A Penny and Home Depot which seem to have continuous supply.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.