ShotCrete failing

Soclwrkt97

Apr 3, 2022
Austin
We have an inground pool that is 4 years old. We have quite a few significant cracks in the pebbletec and the appear to also involve the ShotCrete shell. The pool builder sent a worker over today to inspect the cracks, and he said, “I need to report this. There are a lot of cracks. This is bad.”

How do they repair the cracks and stabilize the shell? One tile company said they may have to demo and rebuild entire sections if not the entire pool, but I don’t know if that is the only solution.

What type of repair process am
I looking at?

Welcome to TFP.

We seem to see a lot of pools in Texas cracking. Especially around Austin. Some folks say it is the soil in certain areas.

Picture of your problems would help us understand your situation.

Here are some threads about fixing pool cracks that may be helpful...

Need to provide pictures of the cracks to give a accurate response to your concerns. Their are many ways to correct cracks in plaster and cracks in Shotcrete. Plaster can be patched but with yours being 4 years old matching the patch color to surrounding plaster will be difficult. Shotcrete repair can be done with hydraulic cement or re shooting the Shotcrete depending on the size of area to be repaired. What needs to be answered first is why the plaster and Shotcrete failed so it can also be corrected. Most common reason for this is movement.

Reactions: Soclwrkt97
We have an inground pool that is 4 years old. We have quite a few significant cracks in the pebbletec and the appear to also involve the ShotCrete shell. The pool builder sent a worker over today to inspect the cracks, and he said, “I need to report this. There are a lot of cracks. This is bad.”

How do they repair the cracks and stabilize the shell? One tile company said they may have to demo and rebuild entire sections if not the entire pool, but I don’t know if that is the only solution.

I looking at?
Here are a couple of pictures of the worst cracks inside the pool

Attachments

• BD66CE8E-BFCA-4482-8EDE-6C78FDB9E292.jpeg
    BD66CE8E-BFCA-4482-8EDE-6C78FDB9E292.jpeg
    584.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 8F6CF77E-D5C1-46EF-B647-4573D5E08A56.jpeg
    8F6CF77E-D5C1-46EF-B647-4573D5E08A56.jpeg
    673.2 KB · Views: 71
Need to provide pictures of the cracks to give a accurate response to your concerns. Their are many ways to correct cracks in plaster and cracks in Shotcrete. Plaster can be patched but with yours being 4 years old matching the patch color to surrounding plaster will be difficult. Shotcrete repair can be done with hydraulic cement or re shooting the Shotcrete depending on the size of area to be repaired. What needs to be answered first is why the plaster and Shotcrete failed so it can also be corrected. Most common reason for this is movement.
I have a structural engineer who does pool shell evaluation coming tomorrow to
Give his opinion.

Reactions: AQUA~HOLICS

I looking at?
Update: the structural engineer said it is structurally unsound but repairable, if they fix the underlying soil shift issue.

the pool builder said he will have to drain it to see just how bad it is, then can have a definitive plan.

But overall, it doesn’t seem like a demo and rebuild is necessary. I suspect the soil shift had something to do with the Texas snowmageddon that did in everyone’s pools it seems like.

So, epoxy polymer repairs, new pebbletec, and new tile. It could be worse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.