Shopping for a SWG and maybe Automation (Edit: Ultimately went with Hayward HLBPLUS4W)

Palpatine

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2019
West Hills, CA
So I've scoured the forum and still not sure what to get. I can do plumbing myself but I'm not comfortable with electric so a DIY is pretty much out. Also, if the contractor does everything, he warranties everything, so that has some value to me.

My pool is about 25-27k gallons and I know I should 2x the SWG but since I already have Hayward pump and filter I was thinking of going with this:

I know this has automation as well. Will this be good for me? Will I need other parts like actuators to switch from pool to spa, etc. or is this the whole kit and caboodle?

The contractor I've been working with really wants to sell me a Purechlor system for $2300 out the door and automation for $3500. I'm just not sure I want to go with the Purechlor (40k) system. There seems to be limited info on the forum for this system. Does anyone know if it's any good? (I've already seen the discountsaltpool comparison site but it doesn't mean much to me)

Seems like the Hayward is not much more expensive and is a more reputable company... and I already have the other Hayward equipment, so there's that.

Also, I may just go with the SWG for now and add automation later, so would that be the W3AQR15? Then add the automation later? Does it make more sense to do it all at once?

Lastly, I'm not married to anything as of right now so if somebody has a better suggestion for me, I'm all ears.

I know I've asked a lot of questions here and I appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks.

Get the OmniPL kit with the 40K SWG cell. It does not come with any actuators that you would need to control your pool/spa suction and return.

The OmniPL will fully control your TriStar VS pump.

Reactions: Palpatine
Get the OmniPL kit with the 40K SWG cell. It does not come with any actuators that you would need to control your pool/spa suction and return.

The OmniPL will fully control your TriStar VS pump.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if the 40K would be enough for my pool, but it's about 1.5 x.

Is the link that I provided the exact system I should purchase?

Do you have any idea what the actuators cost?

Is there anything else I would need to purchase to make this all work?

Thanks again!

I wasn't sure if the 40K would be enough for my pool, but it's about 1.5 x.

It is close enough. Hayward does not make a larger cell. Lots of folks make do with it.

Is the link that I provided the exact system I should purchase?

Yes, but don't know if that is the best place to purchase it and what your warranty situation with Hayward would be.

Do you have any idea what the actuators cost?

Hayward, Pentair, Jandy, Intermatic all sell similar actuators that are interchangeable. They run $150 - $300 each depending on where you buy them.

Is there anything else I would need to purchase to make this all work?

Don't think so.

Last edited:
It is close enough. Hayward does not make a larger cell. Lots of folks make do with it.

Yes, but don't know if that is the best place to purchase it and what your warranty situation with Hayward would be.

Hayward, Pentair, Jandy, Intermatic all sell similar actuators that are interchangeable. They run $150 - $300 each depending on where you buy them.

Don;t think so.
Thanks @ajw22

If I only start with the SWG, would you mind providing me with that exact part number?

And yes, not sure about that vendor, I just saw that it was likely what I needed and it was easy to link to.

Leslies is doing a free install deal right now on the W3AQR15. Out the door price is $2200, unless I need a check valve (which I already have one installed but don't know where they want to put this one) then it would be $2310.

Seems like a fair deal,no?

Since I have a Hayward pump would I still need a timer? Or can they just integrate the Hayward pump directly?

Since I have a Hayward pump would I still need a timer?

Yes

Or can they just integrate the Hayward pump directly?

Nope.

I think you getting the Aquarite if you intend to get the OmniPL someday is a waste of money. You are buying the Aquarite control panel which is is not needed with the OmniPL.

Last edited:
Yes

Nope.

You consider the ...

Thanks @ajw22 , I didn't even know that existed. I just called Leslies and they said $2626 out the door (installed).

Does that make automation less expensive for me if I decide to take the plunge down the road?

Thanks @ajw22 , I didn't even know that existed. I just called Leslies and they said $2626 out the door (installed).

Does that make automation less expensive for me if I decide to take the plunge down the road?
I edited my post above when I remembered you have a spa. The Omni S3 does not control actuators the way an OmniPL does.

I think you getting the Aquarite if you intend to get the OmniPL someday is a waste of money. You are buying the Aquarite control panel which is is not needed with the OmniPL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I edited my post above when I remembered you have a spa. The Omni S3 does not control actuators the way an OmniPL does.

Okay, I see your edited post above now. That's too bad, Leslies does not carry the OmniPL. I didn't want to drop all that coin right now... not even sure where to get the OmniPL but I definitely want to add a SWG. I'll have to kick this around.

For $300 more I would get the S3. Then it gives you OMNI app control of your VS pump, heater, and SWG. And you don't need a timer. Just no pool/spa control.

@ajw22 I just called Leslies back, I noticed that part number on the link I posted above is missing a letter, the B, so I gave them the correct number of HLBPLUS4W and they can order... $4051 installed. That's probably my best bet until I buy the actuators, huh?

The guy said if my heater has copper nickel lining that I'll need a new heater. Is my Jandy JXI good?

EDIT: Actually, how many actuators do I need to control my pool and spa? Two?

Last edited:
@ajw22 I just called Leslies back, I noticed that part number on the link I posted above is missing a letter, the B, so I gave them the correct number of HLBPLUS4W and they can order... $4051 installed. That's probably my best bet until I buy the actuators, huh?

HLBPLUS4W is the OnmiPL that gives you full spa control.

Actuators are not a big deal to install if you can handle a screwdriver. They will cost you around $200 each.
The guy said if my heater has copper nickel lining that I'll need a new heater. Is my Jandy JXI good?

The guy is full of hogwash.

You don't need a new heater and your Jandy JXI is fine. This is why we tell people to stay away from Leslie.

EDIT: Actually, how many actuators do I need to control my pool and spa? Two?
Two.

The guy is full of hogwash.

You don't need a new heater and your Jandy JXI is fine. This is why we tell people to stay away from Leslie.
I figured. Free install and their warranty is the only reason I would shop there.

Actuators are not a big deal to install if you can handle a screwdriver. They will cost you around $200 each.
The screwdriver part is fine... it's the electrical that I'm not comfortable with. If I pay a premium and get those from Leslies they'll install for free.

Hmmm, $2626... or about $4700... I don't know if the pool/spa automation is worth the extra 2g's right now. But at least I have all the info to decide.

Thanks again!

Also, my pool/spa lights and my spa jets are located about 30ft from my equipment pad. Not sure I'd even be able to connect those to the OmniPL automation. Probably just the function of switching between pool and spa mode. And being able to do that remotely, like before getting home, would be nice.... but not sure about 2g's nice.

So, I ordered this:

AquaRite S3 Omni Salt System 40,000 gallon​

FEATURES​

Features:

• LCD color display for built-in control of chlorine levels, heater and variable-speed pump (single-speed pump control via Smart Relay, HLH485RELAY, sold separately)

• Works only with a genuine S3 Series Hayward salt cell

• Clear TurboCell salt cell for easy inspection

• Operates over a broad range of salt levels,800-8000 ppm

• Pool cover detect capabilities

• Auto voltage select for easier installation

• Easy upgrade path to Omni® controls via AQRS3OMNIKIT, AquaRite S3 Omni Features

•Includes all AquaRite S3 features above

• Full control of virtually any pool or spa feature via the external control panel, OmniLogic® app or voice control devices*

• Valve ports to automatically switch to Spa mode, GVA-24 automatic actuators sold separately

• ColorLogic lighting control with OmniDirect Mode™

• pH and ORP sensing capabilities, probes sold separately

• Expand at any time with easy-to-add accessories from smart relays, pH sensing, WiFi connectivity and more

• Configurable for future upgrades, Control and set schedules for 3x variable-speed pumps, Control 2x heaters, 2 high power relays

• Capable of controlling an acid feed tank, *Voice control devices are not included.

Looks like I can order 2 actuators and control my pool and spa valves with this system and I don't need the more expensive OmniPL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support