Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hi, I am a new pool owner. I just bought a house with a pool so this pool is well established. I have tested water and pH is 7.9, alkalinity 80 but CYA is 144 and high calcium. I use trichlor tablets (2-3/week, 9000 gal pool). I was told that I should use CYA, Ca2+ free shock chemistry, which basically is sodium hypochlorite (liquid chlor). But I am not sure if it is ok to use pool bleach with Trichlor. Any advise? Thank you!

That is correct. The accuracy and repeatability of testing from pool stores is not acceptable. You, as the pool owner, with a proper test kit will provide much more accurate and reliable test results.

You can use Trichlor if you like, with testing, and frequent water drain/fill. We do not 'shock' pool water.
The TFPC way of maintenance is to add to your pool what it needs based on testing. The most sustainable way of maintaining the sanitizer level in your pool water is with daily liquid chlorine additions or the installation of a SaltWater Chlorine Generator.

First, welcome to TFP!

So, you are saying that the professional tests they have at the stores are not accurate?
The free ones done specifically to get you in the store so they have the opportunity to sell you products?

Nope, not particularly accurate. Or rather, not reliable. They got you in the store, that's what's important ?

We have a term here. We call it "Getting Pool Stored". It's when they run some tests on a sample of your pool water and then sell you a bunch of unnecessary chemicals that make your wallet lighter. It's amazing how many people find this forum after getting "pool stored" looking for a better and cheaper way.

Reactions: mknauss and Hootz
OK, So now I know that stores are bad, the tests are not good but still do not know answer to my question. I bought a house and the previous owner was using trichlor tablets and was adding "shock" products when necessary. I live in Tucson AZ, so unstabilized chlorine will be destroyed in minutes. Another thing is that I am working person and do not have time to test water every day and add chlorine on daily basis, which in AZ will cause spikes and valleys every single day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is correct. The accuracy and repeatability of testing from pool stores is not acceptable. You, as the pool owner, with a proper test kit will provide much more accurate and reliable test results.

You can use Trichlor if you like, with testing, and frequent water drain/fill. We do not 'shock' pool water.
The TFPC way of maintenance is to add to your pool what it needs based on testing. The most sustainable way of maintaining the sanitizer level in your pool water is with daily liquid chlorine additions or the installation of a SaltWater Chlorine Generator.

I have 1200V multitest and show similar results as these from a pool store. I promise the next one will be suggested above.

So, you are saying that the professional tests they have at the stores are not accurate?
Worse than that, they stink!!

If you stay with us and continue to read the thousands and thousands of pool owners like you who have figured out pool store testing is bogus.

I could tell you didn't like that answer but it really is the truth,

We hope you stay and continue to read and learn.

OK, So now I know that stores are bad, the tests are not good but still do not know answer to my question. I bought a house and the previous owner was using trichlor tablets and was adding "shock" products when necessary. I live in Tucson AZ, so unstabilized chlorine will be destroyed in minutes. Another thing is that I am working person and do not have time to test water every day and add chlorine on daily basis, which in AZ will cause spikes and valleys every single day.
You already have plenty of stabilizer, so any bleach you add is protected.

If you can't add liquid chlorine daily, get a liquidator or a peristaltic pump to add it for you, or install a saltwater chlorine generator and make your pwn bleach onsite. Use the search box up above on those terms. You'll find plenty.

You already have plenty of stabilizer, so any bleach you add is protected.

If you can't add liquid chlorine daily, get a liquidator or a peristaltic pump to add it for you, or install a saltwater chlorine generator and make your pwn bleach onsite. Use the search box up above on those terms. You'll find plenty.

Thank you. I will definitely search for those. I still do not have answer to my question. Is it OK, safe to mix trichlor and sodium hypochlorite in the pool? I was told i shouldn't mix different types of chlor e.g. dichlor, with trichlor or trichlor with pool bleach.

Yes, I am new to this topic and I need time to learn things about pools. Step by step but for now I need to make sure that the water pool is safe until learn about other solutions.

Once the products are in the pool water, they are dispersed into their constituents. So there is no direct mixing of trichlor and sodium hypochlorite. You do not want to mix them directly together or via a chlorinator.

So long as they’re not added in the same place it’s fine. But if your CYA is over 140 then you certainly don’t want to add more, which Trichlor will.

From reading your posts it seems like you are thinking chlorine needs to be added in stabilized form for the stabilizer to work on it. That is not the case. The chlorine is used up as it oxidizes and some is always lost to UV, but the stabilizer (CYA) doesn’t leave the pool. It just builds up. And the more CYA you have, the less the FC will work.

Stick around, get a kit and test your levels yourself. If your CYA is really 140+ you will likely need to do a water exchange or drain/refill to bring it back down to 50 or so. That is a good amount of CYA in a pool in a hot and sunny environment. Then you can add liquid chlorine as needed (usually every day or two). How much will depend on your FC levels from your testing.

I’m assuming your pool is clear, no visible algae currently?

Thank you. I will definitely search for those. I still do not have answer to my question. Is it OK, safe to mix trichlor and sodium hypochlorite in the pool? I was told i shouldn't mix different types of chlor e.g. dichlor, with trichlor or trichlor with pool bleach.

Yes, I am new to this topic and I need time to learn things about pools. Step by step but for now I need to make sure that the water pool is safe until learn about other solutions.
Once one is dissolved in the pool, you can add a different type. You just don't want to mix them together before adding.

Reactions: pandan74
Once one is dissolved in the pool, you can add a different type. You just don't want to mix them together before adding.

THANK YOU!!!
Just do want to add more stabilizer which is together with Trichlor. I would like to maintain the pool as is until the cooler months (November/December) and then I will think about modifications. Hopefully I will know more by then. mistakes are inevitable but I am hoping to avoid as many as possible.
One more question (probably one of many) any good resources about salt vs chlorine pools? Pros and cons? Should I convert chlorine to salt water pool? Is it expensive?
BTW, I am sorry for all mistakes... English is my second language.

It’s all good, your English seems quite well. Just keep in mind that CYA or stabilizer does NOT need to be added with the chlorine for it to protect the chlorine. The CYA already in the pool will protect it already.

A saltwater pool is a chlorine pool - it just uses a saltwater cell to make the chlorine instead of adding it via liquid or pucks/granules. Cons are the initial cost and that they don’t last forever - eventually you have to replace the salt cell. Pros are that if you get them dialed in right they can make all the chlorine you typically need and so you don’t need to add more via other forms. :)

Reactions: pandan74
THANK YOU!!!
Just do want to add more stabilizer which is together with Trichlor. I would like to maintain the pool as is until the cooler months (November/December) and then I will think about modifications. Hopefully I will know more by then. mistakes are inevitable but I am hoping to avoid as many as possible.
One more question (probably one of many) any good resources about salt vs chlorine pools? Pros and cons? Should I convert chlorine to salt water pool? Is it expensive?
BTW, I am sorry for all mistakes... English is my second language.
CYA doesn't go away. Chlorine does. So if you keep adding stabilized chlorine, you'll get too much. And then you have to drain the pool. Which is where you are if CYA is 144. That's about three times as much as you want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.