Shock/Slam vs drain the pool during opening

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
hi there.

What are dissadvantages of draining and refilling vs shocking during opening?

I used to go through 4-8 bottles of liquid during opening, but the last few years been battling with some soil bacteria or something so adding CYA is not recommended until bacteria is killed. So the chlorine usage is much higher

Where can I test for CYA eating bacterias?

Cost of water is under $50 for 10k gallons, may be much cheaper than cost of chemicals.

Another question - is it a good idea to slam while pool is covered by solid cover (laying on water)? is it bad for the cover?

Also, SLAM process recommends 10FC for CYA under 20. Would it make sense to go higher overnight? I'v been losing about 2ppm an hour.

Thanks

Last edited:
You can certainly drain your pool and refill. You may still have to follow the SLAM Process if algae was left behind in the piping, on the walls etc. Also be sure your fill water has sufficient calcium or else the cost of calcium chloride to raise your CH may be substantial.

Do be ware that empty pools pop out of the ground. Depends on your local conditions, water table, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.