Dec 6, 2021
Austin, TX
Hello, I've been a lurker in here and appreciate all of the knowledge that has been so helpul., first time posting. I have read what I could find on sheer waterfalls but none of the fixes helped mine. I have a new pool with a 6' sheer that puts water out about 13" on one end, and about 8" at the opposite end. Maybe that is within tolerances, but I don't know. In order to try to equalize the sheer, I've used the cleaning tool, as well as spraying a mix of acid and water in the output to no avail. In addition, the pool plumber cut the line open on the outside of the pool and shop vacuumed the pvc pipe in case there was something in there. That didn't work. He also took out a couple of 90 degree couplings in the water line in case that was causing the problem. None of the fixes yielded any results. The sheer has it's own pump and the only other things on the pump are a couple of deck jets that don't affect the flow of the scheer when off or on. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• Scheer.png
    Scheer.png
    598.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1857.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1860.jpg
    IMG_1860.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 40
The long sheers I have seen have 2 water entries (one either side) in order to get sufficient flow. I can imagine that if one of those entries was blocked accidentally, or blocked/disconnected/not used purposely then you would probably get more flow on one side.

Was it plumbed correctly?

How was the sheer decent plumbed on the supply side directly to the sheer?
Did it have 3 , 2 or 1 supply ports?
How the manifold is plumbed has a direct impact on the amount of flow and its uniformity of water that exists the sheer.
I have seen plumbers run a 18” strait pvc pipe past the last return line when the system is not looped in order to get the same pressure on that last return as the first return, I’m not sure if this would provide the added pressure needed to make the sheer even on both ends but i have seen this work on return lines.

My sheer has three waterfalls. Each has its own pipe to the pump. The three pipes are joined together via two 3-way valves to the pump. This allows the control of flow to each waterfall. I had to adjust the values to get the flow to be even amongst the three.

I think you will end up needing to live with it that way.

How was the sheer decent plumbed on the supply side directly to the sheer?
Did it have 3 , 2 or 1 supply ports?
How the manifold is plumbed has a direct impact on the amount of flow and its uniformity of water that exists the sheer.
I have seen plumbers run a 18” strait pvc pipe past the last return line when the system is not looped in order to get the same pressure on that last return as the first return, I’m not sure if this would provide the added pressure needed to make the sheer even on both ends but i have seen this work on return lines.
Yes it is plumbed directly to the sheer. I'll have to verify with the pool builder, but if I recall correctly, there was just one supply, it looked like the attached photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-17 222030.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-17 222030.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 9
My sheer has three waterfalls. Each has its own pipe to the pump. The three pipes are joined together via two 3-way valves to the pump. This allows the control of flow to each waterfall. I had to adjust the values to get the flow to be even amongst the three.
As the pipe leaves the pump, it is split to three different pipes. Two pipes that to individual deck jets and have Jandy valves, but the sheer has no valve. When the deck jets are fully open, they will each spray about 20' in the air and as I adjust them down to no flow, there is zero effect on the flow of the scheer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.