Suwanee, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Was having some trouble getting the sheer descents to flow. Valve opened and we weren’t getting much more than a trickle, even with flow turned all the way up. After a few tries of turning it on and off it started to flow more normal but then it shuts off and so does the rest of the pool. We are stumped as to what the cause could be. Pool and spa all run fine until we turn the sheer descents on. This is the first time we have tried having them on since we had the manifold bypass replaced as well as the high temp and stack flue sensors.

Post a few pics of your equipment pad from a few different angles so we can see what you have.
Once we see an overall layout of the pad, including valves, maybe we can suggest a way for your shears to flow more.

When you say "it shuts off and so does the rest of the pool", what exactly do you mean?
Pump shuts off?
Pump still running, but no water comes out?
What RPM is the pump running at when you turn on the shears?

Post a full set of test results from one of the recommended test kits as well so we can rule out a chemistry problem. Test Kits Compared

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temperature

Post a few pics of your equipment pad from a few different angles so we can see what you have.
Once we see an overall layout of the pad, including valves, maybe we can suggest a way for your shears to flow more.

When you say "it shuts off and so does the rest of the pool", what exactly do you mean?
Pump shuts off?
Pump still running, but no water comes out?
What RPM is the pump running at when you turn on the shears?

Post a full set of test results from one of the recommended test kits as well so we can rule out a chemistry problem. Test Kits Compared

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temperature
The pump turns off after 40 seconds of shears running. RMP at 3455

Attachments

• IMG_7524.jpeg
    IMG_7524.jpeg
    829.5 KB · Views: 5
The pump turns off after 40 seconds of shears running. RMP at 3455
Jen,

Well, that of course will not be a filter issue.. :mrgreen:

Does the pump give you any kind of failure code or alarm??

I assume that you are using your automation to run the pump...

Does it shut off if the sheers are not on?

I doubt it is the automation, but as a test, you can put the system into the Service mode and run the pump and see if it shuts off..

What automation do you have?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jen,

Well, that of course will not be a filter issue.. :mrgreen:

Does the pump give you any kind of failure code or alarm??

I assume that you are using your automation to run the pump...

Does it shut off if the sheers are not on?

I doubt it is the automation, but as a test, you can put the system into the Service mode and run the pump and see if it shuts off..

What automation do you have?

Thanks,

Jim R.
The pump runs run fine until we turn on the shear descents. We’ve turned them on with and without automation. We use ScreenLogic.

Jen,

I guess my question should have been... Does the pump run ok at 3450, when in the pool mode.. I'm trying to determine if the pump shuts off for some reason just because it is running at 3450, or is the problem that when you turn on the sheers, the pump increases speed to 3450?

In the manual I see all kinds of limits..

Set Min Speed (450-1700 RPM) - Default: 450 RPM
Set Max Speed (1900-3450 RPM) - Default: 3450 RPM
Set Min Flow (20-70 GPM) - Default: 20 GPM
Set Max Flow (80-140 GPM) - Default: 140 GPM Flow Limit Speed (Disabled / Enabled) - Default: Disabled
Max Pressure (1-50 PSI) - Default: 30 PSI
Pressure Limit Speed (Disabled / Enabled) - Default: Disabled

Let's see what @JamesW has to say...

Thanks,

Jim R.

From your single picture ....

Are the shear descents the pipe marked waterfall?
If so, place the closed arrow toward the Pool Returns the other return valve with the closed arrow points towards the spa check valve. This will direct all return flow to the waterfall line (shear descents) and shut off return flow to the in wall pool returns and also the spa spillover. Now, turn on the pump and let us know what the shears look like and if the pump keeps running.

Do you have IntelliTouch automation?
If so, to rule out the automation possibly causing this issue, put your automation in Service mode (at the automation panel, not Screen Logic). This should now allow you to control the pump directly from the pump control panel instead of the automation panel or Screen Logic. Turn on the pump from the control panel on the pump itself and let us know what happens.

When done testing, put the valves back in the appropriate places and place the automation system back in Auto mode.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jen,

I guess my question should have been... Does the pump run ok at 3450, when in the pool mode.. I'm trying to determine if the pump shuts off for some reason just because it is running at 3450, or is the problem that when you turn on the sheers, the pump increases speed to 3450?

In the manual I see all kinds of limits..

Set Min Speed (450-1700 RPM) - Default: 450 RPM
Set Max Speed (1900-3450 RPM) - Default: 3450 RPM
Set Min Flow (20-70 GPM) - Default: 20 GPM
Set Max Flow (80-140 GPM) - Default: 140 GPM Flow Limit Speed (Disabled / Enabled) - Default: Disabled
Max Pressure (1-50 PSI) - Default: 30 PSI
Pressure Limit Speed (Disabled / Enabled) - Default: Disabled

Let's see what @JamesW has to say...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes, pump runs fine at 3450. Lowered RMP down to 2500 and still having the same issue

From your single picture ....

Are the shear descents the pipe marked waterfall?
If so, place the closed arrow toward the Pool Returns the other return valve with the closed arrow points towards the spa check valve. This will direct all return flow to the waterfall line (shear descents) and shut off return flow to the in wall pool returns and also the spa spillover. Now, turn on the pump and let us know what the shears look like and if the pump keeps running.

Do you have IntelliTouch automation?
If so, to rule out the automation possibly causing this issue, put your automation in Service mode (at the automation panel, not Screen Logic). This should now allow you to control the pump directly from the pump control panel instead of the automation panel or Screen Logic. Turn on the pump from the control panel on the pump itself and let us know what happens.

When done testing, put the valves back in the appropriate places and place the automation system back in Auto mode.
Did both steps and still having the same problem

Did both steps and still having the same problem
What exact filter do you have - manufacturer and model number?
Clean your filter
- actually, remove the cartridges, reinstall lid, reinstall band clamp and run the system without the cartridges in the filter housing. How are the shears running now?
- clean the cartridges and reinstall.

Have you checked the pump impeller for any obstruction?