Sheer descent plumbing question

I hope you know to use sch40 fittings by now on all plumbing thats basic info.
Given the number of times we have had to tell members that the 90s they are using are not sch40, it seems to be a fairly common mistake. Also, the sweep 90's you find in most home stores are not sch40.

I personally only use sweeps when plumbing pools and my basis is actual results I've seen based on pressures.
Sweep 90's do reduce head loss and the more 90s you have in the plumbing, the more head loss is reduced. The gain is relative to the head loss in the 90s vs the head loss elsewhere. If you are getting a significant drop in filter pressure by switching to sweep 90s, that means you are using a lot of 90s in your plumbing designs. However, for a standard pool, with a typical layout, the impact of sweeps is significantly less. Given the difficulty and cost in building two identical pool plumbing systems with different types of 90s, the best way to compare the two designs is with a head loss model. Here is a an example that is similar to the OPs pool:

- 2x40' suction runs with equal flow (assumes elimination of the MD)
- 5x90 bends in each of the suction runs
- 5' pad pipe
- 5x90 bends on the pad
- 2.5 sq-ft filter with 2" Multi-port
- 1x40' return run
- 5x90 bends in return run
- 5 return ports split at the pool

Given that the filter is only 2.5 sq-ft, the flow rate should not exceed 50 GPM so for the head loss model, I used 1500 RPM for the Ecostar pump. Here are the operating points for a standard 90s vs sweep 90s for ALL the 90s in the plumbing.

Standard 90s: 46.81 GPM @ 14.16' of head & 220 watts - Filter Pressure: 3.42 PSI
Sweep 90s: 48.34 GPM @ 14.01' of head & 224 watts - Filter Pressure: 3.41 PSI

So you can see there is very little difference between the two scenarios. Sweeps have about 1/2 the head loss of standard 90s but because other pieces of equipment have far more head loss, especially a 2.5 sqft sand filter, it doesn't add up to a big change overall. But again, if your pools have 10x the number 90s, then obviously you would see a larger difference. But then I would have ask why you are using so many 90s in your design.

I agree upsizing pipe but it's a huge pain to use 2.5" and larger pipe and once you bush down to 2" you lose alot of the gain.
Actually, there is not much of the gain that is lost with bushings. At 50 GPM, a 2" to 2.5" bushing has only about 0.05' of head loss. Insignificant even when accounting for four of them.

Note: The head loss model I am using has been validate with close to dozens pools over the last 12 years. So I am very confident in it's accuracy. It primarily uses the fitting minor losses from the Crane TP-410 "Flow of Fluids Through Valves, Fittings, and Pipe" handbook.

@orangepower10, One of the issues that you will run into is that the flow rate for the waterfall will exceed that of the recommended flow rate of the filter. So either you are going to have to up size the filter or you will need to plumb a bypass to prevent over driving the filter when in waterfall mode.

The model of the filter is Hayward S310T2. Looks as though it has 4.91 Square Feet of filtration area and its Design Flow Rate is 98 GPM. 7 feet of falls would require 84 GPM, right?

An option that we are heavily considering is plumbing for the waterfalls (using a seperate pump) and completing at a later date.

As I mentioned before, I would skip the MD and use standard skimmers.

As for the plumbing layout, it is very crowded against the wall. So I would redesign the whole thing.

For the suction side, you are better off using a manifold with a 2-way valve on each line. The return side can be done with a three way valve so it is easier to switch between the WF and the pool returns.

Last edited:
Agree its very crowded and not a good idea to run any pipe thru concrete in case of repairs down the road. Always pipe into a manifold and use 2 ways with complicated plumbing it gives you total control to adjust and fine tune. I think it's a good idea to also do on return side and hone run everything. It's only a little extra work and valves but if you ever have leak or problem you can isolate and close it off. Think of how many posts are on here with people having leaks and they cant shut that one line off because the PB did it cheap and easy and bunched it all together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.