SF Bay Area build (done!!!)

Lol, who’s going to empty that thing? I lucked out and have a bathroom close by. Only a 7 foot area of carpet to go through. My son, daughter and wife would all pass on the toilet use
i get the job of emptying (pee only is rule!)

We are hoping nobody needs it but my kids (9 and 7) and their friends have had a few "gotta pee" runs through the house already

we have 40 feet of hardwood floors to cross so it is not a good combination

Reactions: kimkats
FC has finally dropped to 7

Figured it is low enough for SWG testing now

I have set it up based on pool math
SWG is an AR 15 set to 20% output for 13 hours
Should give me a raise of 1 FC which i am hoping offsets the natural loss of 1 FC per day under the bubble cover

My variable speed pump (vs950) is running at 40% as default and kicks up to 65% when solar turns on. I think 40% is 1380 RPM but the pump interface isn't giving me rpm. All i can see are 184 watts being used.

I confirmed SWG flow meter is being activated as well

now i need to wait for results of the testing

Last edited:
I have the request for pictures but we haven't done any night swimming lately. now that the bubble cover is on I am way too lazy to remove it just to take pictures

I am flying solo with pool maintenance

This week results at 8:30am
FC-8
PH-7.5 (running water features during swim party...need to get more MA)
TA-140 (my PB handed it over to me around 160...I'm slowly dropping it using MA)
CH-350
CYA-60
Water temp-85
CSI-0.2

I actually have a stupid newbie question now. I couldn't find it when searching the forum.

What do I do with these empty jugs of MA? They are not rinsed out and cleaned...so maybe not 100% empty.

Do people just collect and take a batch to their local hazardous waste recycling?

I have the request for pictures but we haven't done any night swimming lately. now that the bubble cover is on I am way too lazy to remove it just to take pictures

I am flying solo with pool maintenance

This week results at 8:30am
FC-8
PH-7.5 (running water features during swim party...need to get more MA)
TA-140 (my PB handed it over to me around 160...I'm slowly dropping it using MA)
CH-350
CYA-60
Water temp-85
CSI-0.2

I actually have a stupid newbie question now. I couldn't find it when searching the forum.

What do I do with these empty jugs of MA? They are not rinsed out and cleaned...so maybe not 100% empty.

Do people just collect and take a batch to their local hazardous waste recycling?
I just rinse them out well with the pool water , 3 rinses at least... and then chuck them in my recycle bin. It's not any different than disposing of chlorine bottles

Reactions: kimkats and NorCalX

Attachments

• Happy Halloween (1).jpg
    Happy Halloween (1).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Happy Halloween (2).jpg
    Happy Halloween (2).jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: kimkats and mguzzy
I read all kinds of other build threads and picked up on things I never thought about

Gonna start posting the POST construction things I am learning

So here we go with things I learned...and things I do

Adding my own muriatic acid

My PB left me a jug of his PURE stuff (34.6%)...it was absolutely nasty and I got a whiff when the winds shifted on me. Also spilled some on my concrete deck (there was a drop in the cap and the cap flipped over when I placed it down). Basically it was NOT an enjoyable first experience doing my own pool chemicals and I was nervous.

I am currently using the 14.5% stuff available from Home Depot.

It may not be as efficient from a monetary stand point but I haven't experienced the intense fume issue yet either. Tradeoff I am comfortable with at this point.

My wife was concerned about safety so I got some gloves off amazon. It was probably a good decision. I also keep a stick nearby to help puncture the plastic seal. Some of those jugs just don't want to be opened.

I also keep my hose nearby and turned on (valve in off position) in case of an accidental spill and I need water (did NOT have that when I spilled the first time...)

When I am done I rinse off my gloves

I still do NOT have a routine for my empty muriatic acid jugs. I have 6 empty ones now and need to make a trip to recycle household waste anyways so I will see if my local recycling facility simply takes as is. The webpage says "pool chemicals" are accepted.

Also...with the recent CA crazy winds and leaves I learned my pool tool is a "rake" and not just a net for the surface....I was trying to avoid scraping the pool but it is actually designed to be directly on the pool floor and has an angled lip. Learning that made leaf cleanup from the bottom of my pool MUCH easier

Hope that helps someone as well

Attachments

• Muriatic acid routine.jpg
    Muriatic acid routine.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 31
  • After wind (4).jpg
    After wind (4).jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 31
LOL! Welcome to the club.. with the winds lately and fall leaves my pool looks like a solid mat of leaves... We have green waste pickup.. and this time of year I have one of my green waste cans by the pool so I can scoop the leaves directly to the cans from the pool! I love my 50 year old oaks.. I'll have it no other way!

I've been dealing with chems for a while in various jobs and lab environments, so I am comfortable handling them.. Yeah you have to take a few precautions with acid, stay down wind, wear old clothes, Never mix water into the acid.. always mix acid into water so it dilutes. I like your Big gloves that doesn't hurt, and the hose is a great idea. Nothing worse that spilling 20 Baume on your new concrete and watching the finish get redesigned.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.