SF Bay Area build (done!!!)

I feel your pain. It's like pulling teeth sometimes to get answers or momentum to move forward. It took forever for my PB to finally shoot the plaster in. But when the plaster is finally done, and the water is in, you will feel much better. Hope they get on it soon!

Reactions: NorCalX
Progress go go go

Plaster is possible Friday/Saturday

And um...yes....we did change something but it had to be done

So long NPT ledger wall (compare/contrast photo provided)

Attachments

• Grotto Progress (2).jpg
    Grotto Progress (2).jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Grotto Progress (3).jpg
    Grotto Progress (3).jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Grotto Progress (4).jpg
    Grotto Progress (4).jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Grotto Progress (5).jpg
    Grotto Progress (5).jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 72
But why??????????? I have to say I like both of them so it is all good.

My wife wasn't a fan of the NPT ledger wall to begin with and only chose it as her best match for the jasper colors.

When we lost the jasper option for the grotto wall/facade she hated the ledger choice.

You can't tell from the photos but the curve of the wall made the flat NPT ledger look bad. It had to be cut similar to waterline tile and it just looked "bad" to us personally. There were portions where it didn't sit right. We knew there wasn't a better way to do it and just accepted it.

The flag stone approach removes that annoyance from the wall.

New selection also helps the grotto blend in rather than stick out and completes the design change when I had to extend and attach the raised wall anyway.

So we went from focus on natural grotto to a blended wall/grotto and now the materials match.

Last edited:
I'm surprised, I'll say, because even with 4 totally different types of stone in that image, the cohesiveness is actually impressive.
uh....thanks?

After the change in wall we reduced the number of materials to 3-4

1-jasper weeping wall + top of grotto
2-coping flagstone for grotto and raised wall
3-waterline tile
4-Out in the landscaping we went with moss rock because the jasper is expensive as F

Here is the finished set

Final prep/cleaning is being done and next up is plaster

Attachments

• Grotto Progress (6).jpg
    Grotto Progress (6).jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Grotto Progress (7).jpg
    Grotto Progress (7).jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Grotto Progress (8).jpg
    Grotto Progress (8).jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 51

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The baby is almost done!!!

Weather is nice and not triple digits...decent humidity

Acid tomorrow then the hose goes on!!!

Attachments

• Pebble finish (1).jpg
    Pebble finish (1).jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Pebble finish (2).jpg
    Pebble finish (2).jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Pebble weather.jpg
    Pebble weather.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Pebble weather2.jpg
    Pebble weather2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 70
SWEET!!!! Now here are your jobs for this stage of the game:
-put some socks on the ends of the hoses to help filter the water and to keep the metal off the new plaster.
-do NOT stop the flow of water for any reason. If you do it might cause a ring on the plaster :(
-Put the hoses at the lowest part of the pool to keep the chance of channeling from happening

Here is a link to getting your plaster off to a good start:
Start-up New Plaster - Trouble Free Pool Please note there are some embedded links that will take you a little deeper if you want to look them over.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: NorCalX
The pebble tec looks good—what did you get?
I get mine in 9 days. Thinking of surf blue but still have time to change my mind.

We actually decided to trust our PB and use the off brand pebble of the pool finish company they use.

Adams is authorized to do pebbletec so the crews know what they are doing.

We went with maui (their version of a medium blue pebblesheen with beads and shells) and amatique (their version of a sandy color...pebblesheen style as well)

And now we sit and wait for the pool to fill. Socks are on and it is in the deepest part of the pool

I got a picture of my water meter before filling and told everyone no baths/showers or flushing unless needed. Pretend we are camping.

Kids loved the news!!

Attachments

• Water time.jpg
    Water time.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 51
Only 8pm PST but I'm calling it an early night. By my rough calculations I have about 5k gallons in the pool after 9 hours of fill time

My wife was worrying if it will overflow while we sleep. I ran the numbers to let her know we can rest easy tonight

Hose has been fairly consistent with what I monitored at the meter on the street
1 gallon per 6 seconds (did this check multiple times)
Conversion gives 10 gallons per minute
Conversion gives 600 gallons per hour

At 9 hours in the meter reading shows just over 5k gallons used since I started

I estimate close to 20k gallons to fill so we have a good 27 more hours to go!

Probably means a late Monday night to confirm we are good

Attachments

• Water time (3).jpg
    Water time (3).jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 46

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.