Settings while Away on Vacation

May 25, 2015
Edgewood, KY
Moved from here.
going on vacation myself soon, have an SWG, so chlorine is not much of a problem, was going to have a neighbor look in on the pool and add water as needed. My pump runs 24/7, I was thinking about turning off the skimmer and let the main drain do the work just in case the water gets too low, knowing that I will have some leaves/mice/whatever to deal with when I return. I would rather spend some time cleaning than replacing pumps and bearings. Are there any downside to leaving the skimmer closed for a bit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: The only downside would seem to be surface debris eventually sinking. Not the worst thing as long as the drain cover doesn't by some weird coincidence get covered with junk. You could adjust them 50/50 just in case? Since the neighbor is nice enough to check on things, he/she might be able to clear the skimmer as well and it won't be a problem either way.

Also, some skimmers have 2 openings in them. One is for normal intake. The other one is utilized once the main line goes dry will start sucking from an opening about a foot below the skimmer. Some people mistake that as another jet.but it is an intake to prevent issues when the water level gets low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.