Seriously green and sludgey for months - Safe after cleaning?

Dolm

May 4, 2019
Plano, TX
I had pump and electrical issues for quite some time, causing my pool to sit stagnant for most of winter. I've gotten everything repaired, and I'm starting SLAM. The algae got so bad, it's got a huge build up of sludge in the bottom. One 8-10ft scoop over the bottom with the net nearly fills the net 1/4 way with algae goop.

Assuming this is cleaned up and bright and pretty again, will this water be safe to swim in again? Or should I just drain and sanitize and start over? I'm not scared of the work to get it clean, my main concern is the safety afterwards.

Sure it will be safe if you follow TFPC processes. It might be more economic to pump at least a portion of the sludge to waste if you have that type of equipment.

Welcome to the forum!
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: Dolm
Sure it will be safe if you follow TFPC processes. It might be more economic to pump at least a portion of the sludge to waste if you have that type of equipment.

I'm filtering the suspended debris now so I can see the bottom to see just how bad it is, if it's thick I plan to go ahead and vacuum to waste. I have read the Pool School content in the past, and I absolutely love this site!

This water is the same swamp water after SLAM'ing. There is nothing wrong with it now.

Attachments

• 20190406_104127.jpg
    20190406_104127.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190424_102943.jpg
    20190424_102943.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 53
This water is the same swamp water after SLAM'ing. There is nothing wrong with it now.

How long did that take to clear up? I have an inground that started around that same look, currently in day 14 of SLAM. Was really hoping for clear water this weekend, but looks like it may be another week, or month haha

I must be doing something wrong then. My water is still cloudy.

This was last night

You have a sand filter. I have a DE filter. I had to sit beside my filter and babysit it. I could not let it run for more that a half hour at best without shutting it off and tearing it down to clean it and then recharge it. I have never dealt with a sand filter. I love my DE but I hate it when clearing a swamp for thie very reason I mentioned above. It does a great job at removing particulates from the pool that it's almost a curse (well it is a curse in the event of a full blown SLAM). Sand filters can run longer and better when they are dirty and they take way longer at clearing a pool.

You are not doing anything wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DE here also. My swamp took a LOT of net scooping, backwashing , and 4 teardown and full cleanings of the grids to get to mostly clear (still silty spots to vacuum today). Also saw pressure double about 20 to 30 minutes after backwashing when the de gets gummed up with algae debris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.