Serious help needed

The pool guy, at my request vacuumed the pool, finding what he believed to be live algae. He believes we need to continue to shock the pool. He also agreed that it appears that most of the "heavy leaves/twigs/and other stuff has been removed, leaving lots of algae. His solution to the algae is shocking to clear the water then vacuuming. In the meantime, I have ordered the tf 100 kit from TFtestkits.net. I will change the pool sand, and clean the inside of the Triton filter.Thanks one and all for your help, and support.

I ordered the TF 100 test kit from dave's company. While I am waiting for delivery of the kit, can I attempt top Slam? Would a local inexpensive kit that measured free chlorine and CYA work in the short term? I hate to wait and do nothing to help the process along. Thank you

I would not waste your money or time with the other tests. Just wait for the good one to come in.

BUT you can get things going! I have a bit of homework for you first.................I REALLY need your pool info in your signature. What I need is pool kind and size in gals. I also need your equipment info-filter kind and size, as well as pump info. Add in any special features your pool has.

Signature-

-settings -upper right of this page

-edit signature- Middle left

THANKS!

Now you can add 1 jug of PLAIN bleach into your pool a night. (that may change when I found out your pool size and kind). Leave the pump running to mix it up good!

Kim:kim:

Don't waste time changing your sand.......it's fine.

Do you have a leaf net that you can scoop along the bottom to make sure all the debris is removed?

I have scooped "until the cows have come home" ! It appears (I think, I hope, I pray !) that most of the heavy, large organics have been removed. My pool guy vacuumed at my request and lots of what he termed "live algae" was on the bottom floor. Prior to vacuuming my skimmers, with knee high hose attached, were trapping large amounts of particle type debris, so that the knee high(s) were saturated after a short while. I went through several knee highs per skimmer in a short day. Post vacuuming and the particles were virtually gone. He then shocked the pool. The pump ran all night, and this morning I changed the sand. Using an old chlorine test (years old !) it indicated that the pool was holding chlorine, but it showed considerably less that last evening. I have ordered a TF 100 kit from Dave's store. In the meantime, Kim has suggested that I add a gallon of bleach this evening. Thank you!

Thank you for filling in your siggy! :hug:

Keep adding the jug of chlorine. Take picture looking down at the steps. That will be your "base" picture.

While you are waiting for your test kit to get there take a look at Pool Math (link in my siggy and at the top of each page). There is a slight learning curve so play around with it to learn how to use it. One hit is to NOT put the , in you gallons. Pool Math does not like it for some reason.

I am also going to share a link to the SLAM with you. Read it and maybe even print it out so you will be ready to implement it! Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Thank you for filling in your siggy! :hug:

Keep adding the jug of chlorine. Take picture looking down at the steps. That will be your "base" picture.

While you are waiting for your test kit to get there take a look at Pool Math (link in my siggy and at the top of each page). There is a slight learning curve so play around with it to learn how to use it. One hit is to NOT put the , in you gallons. Pool Math does not like it for some reason.

I am also going to share a link to the SLAM with you. Read it and maybe even print it out so you will be ready to implement it! Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I am not sure what you mean by " one hit is to not put the , in you gallons ??? I will read Pool Math, and the salm procedure, and add the one gallon of bleach this evening. Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the pool guy using to shock the pool? If he's using anything other than bleach (liquid chlorine), he's likely raising your CYA level as well, reducing the effectiveness of whatever chlorine he is adding. Do you have a test for CYA yet? If so, please post the results.

I'm a novice so keep that in mind, but considering the neglect and the fact that the leaves and/or algae may have already stained the liner and there is no telling how brittle it is from age and not being balanced for so long, would it have not been an option to replace the liner from the get go? Especially considering how much you may have already spent on chemicals and the pool guy?

18x33 Oval AG 15,000 Gal Vinyl Sand Filter 1.5 hp pump Installed 6/2017

What is the pool guy using to shock the pool? If he's using anything other than bleach (liquid chlorine), he's likely raising your CYA level as well, reducing the effectiveness of whatever chlorine he is adding. Do you have a test for CYA yet? If so, please post the results.

The pool guy is using strictly liquid chlorine, 12.5 % Champion brand shock. I have used, on two occasions, powder shock, Clorox brand. I attempted a CYA measurment with out of date reagent, and got a reading that was high off the charts. I can buy fresh CYA reagent or wait for my TF100 test kit to arrive. What do you suggest? BTW I am having trouble posting pictures to photobucket. I have uploaded a picture from my computer but it appears that the image is clipped? Is there another system I can use?

If you can find CYA reagent locally, I'd go ahead and get some and find out for certain what your level is. If it is indeed high, a partial drain and refill is your only real option. Given the condition of your water, this wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.