LisaBgame

Jun 19, 2022
MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My heater was running ok this morning, but I just came home for lunch and it and it says sensor failure. Pool is set to 80, water temp is 71

It was 66 this morning.

Is there anything I can do or do I have to call for a repair?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 10
Is the Rheem heater the same set up as Raypak? Would I order the same part thats on the video?
So I took off the side to try cleaning sensor but I couldn’t get the sensor out of the plastic piece. I do think I could replace this though.

How do I get the wire through the heater to the control panel? I did take off the front and then unscrewed the top part to access control panel so I know where it goes. Just not sure how to get the wires there

So I took off the side to try cleaning sensor but I couldn’t get the sensor out of the plastic piece. I do think I could replace this though.

How do I get the wire through the heater to the control panel? I did take off the front and then unscrewed the top part to access control panel so I know where it goes. Just not sure how to get the wires there
Rheem/RayPak. Follow the wires through the hole in the panel to the circuit board. They may also go through a small nylon clip on the back wall.

Ok . Just wondering, if the temperature sensor is failed why would the pool temperature be displaying correctly on the unit? The thermometer I have in the pool is showing the same reading of that on the heater screen.

The heater never attempts to light. Is there a different ignition sensor?

Ok . Just wondering, if the temperature sensor is failed why would the pool temperature be displaying correctly on the unit? The thermometer I have in the pool is showing the same reading of that on the heater screen.

The heater never attempts to light. Is there a different ignition sensor?
One sensor in that heater. They can be split and short once water starts to flow. Look at the picture in the post with the video. That is just one issue. If it isn't the sensor, its the board. I'd risk $15-$20 on it being the sensor before replacing a many hundred dollar board (which usually comes with a new sensor)

So this morning it was working, then stopped working an hour later. Display showed “sensor failure”. I turned everything off then Backwashed then turned everything back on - still said sensor failure. I just left it on whole going yardwork and then i happened to hear the heater running about 30 minutes later.

What might be causing this to run then not run and say sensor failure then run again… repeat.. .

So this morning it was working, then stopped working an hour later. Display showed “sensor failure”. I turned everything off then Backwashed then turned everything back on - still said sensor failure. I just left it on whole going yardwork and then i happened to hear the heater running about 30 minutes later.

What might be causing this to run then not run and say sensor failure then run again… repeat.. .
Sensors fail. An aftermarket sensor, and they work well, is between $15 and $20. I've used this brand many times with good success. Its worth it to be sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I just ordered it. How do I get my current sensor out of thaw white plastic piece
Loosen the nut at the top of the fitting while holding the lower portion. There may (should) be a small slotted washer inside, it must be in or the sensor will be forced out when the pump is running. Pay attention to how the whole assembly is put together if you take it completely apart (you shouldn't need to). Loosening the nut should allow you to pull the sensor out the top. The video posted earlier is a good guide. Different size heater, but this repair is the same on all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.