Semi Public Pool Pebble Sheen with Cupro Nickel Heater TA 50 ppm?

arizona480

In The Industry
Mar 10, 2013
So we are draining this 24K gal. pool in the next month, but the pool was flirting with 60 ppm TA for the last month and the county wrote it up on the inspection report yesterday as below the 60 ppm threshold. It's not being heated, so a balmy 49 degrees, not worried about swimming and the surface is pebble sheen, not plaster. The pH has been steady for this time period (7.5-7.7 ppm) the county had 7.7 ppm for their report.

The question is, should I bother with adding the baking soda if the pH has not been and issue or is there a danger of the pH dropping to like 6.8 or below at will? We are tossing this water soon to do some tile repairs.

My main concern is the heater which was installed two months ago.

A side question, does low TA itself harm metals and plaster or is it the low pH that could result from the low TA? Generally I see low TA and pH together and that I only have seen with much smaller bodies of water like SPAs.

Low TA itself does no harm but too low TA leads to low PH which is acidic and does the damage.

What is the concern about adding some baking soda and keeping TA on the safe side of 60? Why worry?

Low TA itself does no harm but too low TA leads to low PH which is acidic and does the damage.

What is the concern about adding some baking soda and keeping TA on the safe side of 60? Why worry?

Thanks. Yah, definitely worth a few bucks which isn't even my $$$ not to worry, I had less than 2 lbs. on hand on site. So I added it and was thinking of getting more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.