Semi-permanent pool safety fence

Seth22

May 11, 2012
Maine
Hey designers!
(This is about the fence around the concrete patio, please ignore the Trex patio to the bottom right)

We have children; 4 and 6 years old. Although our yard is fenced, we are thinking we'd a like a fence around just the pool for safety. Sometimes our 4 year old forgets when she doesn't have her swimmies on. Past years have been ok, but we have been nervous about it.

We've been racking our minds about what to do. The area around 80% of the pool is fairly easy, with any little fence just outside the patio walkway (to left, "top, and right in the photo). But the "bottom" of the pool around the concrete patio/table area is tough. We'd rather not fence in the concrete patio/table area as this wouldn't really allow the kids to use the table and would limit our use to that area. But going across the concrete patio with a fence isn't very easy easy/pretty either.

Or if there was a combo solar/safety cover, we'd love that too.

We shouldn't put a price tag on safety... that said, we're hoping for a somewhat good looking approach without spending a fortune.

We've considered a water alarm or the Saftey Turtle watch alarm, but there is always the chance the alarm doesn't work or we forget to put the Safety Turtle watch on her.

20210527_105114.jpg

i bought a black aluminum fence from an online fence retailer - it is a "permanent" fence but easy to erect and easy to remove when the time is right.

Reactions: Seth22
In addition to the fence, make sure you also invest in swimming lessons early. My parents showed me some home movies of my father teaching me to swim as an infant (it was the 70’s) and both my sister and I were competent swimmers by 4 years old.
As we got to be teenagers, we also had a swimming test we had to pass (along with every friend that came over to swim for the first fime) in order to be allowed to swim. The test involved jumping in the deep end fully clothed, shoes, socks and all, treading water for a few minutes, and then swimming to the other side of the pool. If you failed, you couldn’t swim without an adult present.

None of that helps with the fence selection, but I hear so many stories of kids still getting through barriers and figure attacking the problem from multiple directions can only help.

Reactions: Newdude and Seth22
I would put a mesh safety fence around the entire concrete perimeter. Maybe put the table and chairs on the deck and some loungers in the pool area where the table and chairs are now. The fence is annoying because it breaks up the spaces and it's not very aesthetically pleasing but it keeps your children alive. They're semi permanent and come out easily with just some anchors left in the concrete.

Probably the closest you'll come to a safety solar cover is this. It's a manual safety cover. It uses rails on the deck but it not electrically powered. Step-Saver® Manual Cover - Cover-Pools
You must have the pump sitting on the cover and plugged in for it to be a safety cover because rainwater falls on the cover and pools when a person/pet is on the cover, potentially covering them.

Fencing Direct they were very good to deal with - a human emailed me after i reached out to their support and helped me figure out all the hardware and he even applied a discount to my order

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.