Seeking advice on pool equipment/plumping based on attached design

geekox86

Feb 13, 2021
Saudi Arabia
Greetings everyone,

We are in the stage of signing with a pool contractor.

I have some concerns regarding the contractor's recommendations with regards to the following:
1- Number and size (e.g. 2", 2.5", 3", or 4") of the overflow channel drains (i.e. by gravity) [contractor's recommendation: 2x2.5" only];
2- Kind and size (i.e. horsepower) of pool pump [contractor's recommendation: Pentair SuperFlo 2HP];
3- Number of water supply outlets [contractor's recommendation: 8 only];
4- Ability to group electric junction boxes along the pool fence [contractor's recommendation: separate for and directly above each lighting unit].

What is your recommendation on the above points?

The last thing that I want is to have the water from the overflow channel to spill into the garden with every person jumping into the main pool. Also, I am worried if the pool pump can filter the water from both the pool and the waterfall.

Our pool is an outdoor infinity/overflow pool in a harsh weather with the following spec summary:
1- The main pool section (31.2m3 / 8242gal) ends with an infinity edge (i.e. a short waterfall) into the front pool section;
2- The front pool (1.65m3 / 436gal) overflows into the overflow channel (1m3 / 264gal);
3- The balance tank (6m3 / 1585gal) is less then 1m / 3.3ft from the edge of the overflow channel and less than 8m / 26ft from the equipment/pump room;
4- We would like also to connect the pool filtration system with our fence waterfall (less than 5m / 17ft wide and less than 3m / 10ft high) if possible.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• Pool.pdf
    316.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
G,

I don't know the answers to most of your questions, but you need to put the light junction boxes so that the cable from the light can be connected without any underground connections. The max cable length for most lights is 100 feet. If where you want to put the junction boxes is more than 100 feet away from the light it can't be done.. On the other hand, if all the lights are within a 100 feet of where you want the boxes to be located, then there is no reason not to group them together. To really know the answer, you have to know the specific lights you are installing and what the max cable length for that light assembly.

I doubt electrical cost are an issue where you are but installing a single speed pump is pretty old school in this day and age. A large Variable speed pump would make much more sense to me. Will your pool have some type of automation system?

Let's see if we can get some help from @JamesW

Thanks,

Jim R.

What automation will you be using to control the pool equipment?

Those yellow circles on page 7 the returns? Looks about right.

Electric junction boxes for what? How far from the pool water edge?

Hi Jim and thx for passing by. Good point and I will check my lighting units for max cable length. The junction boxes are definitely less than 100ft from furthest unit.

As for the automation system, I am not sure there is any planned by the contractor but a classic timer :)
What do you guys suggest for automation?
Is a large variable speed pump capable of handling both my pool and the fence waterfall (totally separate from the pool)?

Hi, Allen and thx for going over the design.
The Yellow circles are actually the lighting units on the pool wall.
The Blue little circles are the water supply outlets.
The Green squares are the electric junction boxes for the lighting units. They are right on the pool wall.
The Gray squares in the floors are floor drains (i.e. by pump suction).
The Gray circles in the overflow channel are overflow drains (i.e. by gravity).

I am really concerned about point #1 in my original post regarding the number and size of overflow channel drains.
Below is a section of the overflow channel and a random number of drains (i.e. Gray circles). Is the overflow channel capacity enough? How about the drains?

I would appreciate if somebody can point me in the right direction.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 10.07.16 PM.png

Last edited:
As for the automation system, I am not sure there is any planned by the contractor but a classic timer :)
What do you guys suggest for automation?
Is a large variable speed pump capable of handling both my pool and the fence waterfall (totally separate from the pool)?

To begin answering your questions we need to know all the equipment being used at the pool - filters, heaters, chlorinators, valves, size of pipes, etc.

Where is this fence waterfall in relation to the pool?

How will water get back from the fence waterfall to the pool?

Both the vanishing edge and the waterfall will create aeration which will cause the water pH to rise rapidly. You will need to constantly add acid to the pool to keep the pH under control. If you don;t you will have scale issues around the pool.

How do you intend to manage the pool water chemistry?

I doubt one VS pump will have the flow rate through the pool equipment for all of your returns, vanishing edge, and waterfall.

I am really concerned about point #1 in my original post regarding the number and size of overflow channel drains.
Below is a section of the overflow channel and a random number of drains (i.e. Gray circles). Is the overflow channel capacity enough? How about the drains?

Some reading material....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.