Second swim season and appear to be having issues again Holding chlorine

Partly due to the first year issues. It seemed the more I ran the pump and higher I ran the cell I began to have tons of small white flakes. So I didn’t want to repeat that. Now knowing what I know I think that was related to the pool curing from construction as I had high PH, TA and CH was always high. All of that has been right on track now for months with no issues. I have considered running my pump lower rpms from like 7am until 9 or 10 since we like a little water movement when out there plus kids are wanting to swim more in the later evening hours. I just don’t know enough about VS pumps to set it to run for that long or for 24 hours since the pool is so small it seems like a lot of wasted energy to circulate all night. I know bather load changes levels but it’s only like 2 kids and me and wife. Didn’t think that would hit us that bad. Today we have a high UV index and temps are feels like 97 so the loss is probably heat. Water temp though is still below 90 at like 85. I guess I could
Explore running 24

I run my pump and SWCG while the pool has sun shining on it. So the FC is being added as it is being consumed by the UV from the sun. Works for me.

Ok. Adjusted pump to run 7am until 7pm at 55%. Lowered my RPMs from 2800 to 2650 to see how this goes. Didn’t seem to be gaining last test this afternoon still sitting at 3-3.5ppm. Will see what end of day does. And the 12 hour time tomorrow does at 55%

Running at 55% for two full days at 12 hours. Have had some rain both days and today I checked level and I am 2ppm. So I added 4 cups of liquid and set system to 65%. Seems something still maybe off somewhere. I feel I am losing more then I should.
looks
Like I may end up needing salt and stabilizer with the rain. Maybe I am at normal for all the rain but still seems like I am killing that system.

If the SWCG is generating chlorine, then the salt level is fine. More salt does not equate to more chlorine generation.

You should test CYA after any significant water loss from the pool and monthly at the minimum.

I test my stabilizer every two weeks. I don’t know if the rain has pushed everything out of whack and not allowing the system to hold chlorine or if I do have a problem. Salt system says it’s getting close to the minimum. I am just really at a loss why no matter what changes I make I can’t make what I need without running well over what the builder says.

I would let that thought go. Use science and data. Not somebodies guess. To be honest, few builders have a clue about pool water chemistry.
That is true. They are still at the 1-3ppm thinking. When they found my pool at 6ppm one day they told me not to swim.
I guess the no higher than 35% would keep me in between 1-3 so It does now make sense why they were pushing that never thought of it that way.

Ok. I am stuck. I am running at 65% for 12 hours a day and nothing has really changed I am still at 3ppm at the end of the day. I should be making enough now. We have had a lot of rain and pool has been draining out of the overflow but today I had a good while with no rain and pump running. I have brought it to 6ppm with liquid every evening. I do not appear at this point to be losing more than 1ppm overnight. I am going to check one more time today/tomorrow.
stabilizer shows to be around 50 same look both yesterday and today. Faded at 40 so call it 50. I added the last 3 cups of chlorine I had this evening so right now I should be 6ppm. This seems to happen every time I go above 55% seems like cell produces less or the same as it does when it’s lower. Right now my friends running 25% and is holding no issue at 4ppm. Pool is bigger than mine.
mid I pass another test I either lose way more that my cell can do or something else is wrong. I am frustrated

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I decided to buy and use Leslie’s version of Poly quat. It meets all the specs I have seen on this site. I used 8 ounces and the pool was even clearer then I thought it already was. When I turned on the light that evening it was way better. Next day everything started to seem to get better. CC from all the rain seemed to clear out and my chlorine level began to rise on its own. The 3rd I ended the day with 6ppm so I went way up.
numbers:
FC-6
CC-0
PH-7.8
TA-90
CYA-60-70 light was rough but I added enough to make 70
CH-300
I may have been losing overnight but it was hard to determine with the amount of rain. At this point the issue seems to be resolved using the 8 ounces of Polyquat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.