Second guessing all of the time????

Doolie

Sep 19, 2021
NW Florida
Anyone else having this issue now that building has begun? It's only me and not my husband. He has 2 questions only...does it hold water? Can he drink a beer in it? If it's a yes for these 2 then it's perfect. Our backyard is narrow so our pool is only 11'x28' rectangle and only 5 ft from the screened patio. When picking out pavers and coping we went with a sandy (bit of brown mixed in) paver and a brownish coping. We saw it on one on the PB's office pools and liked it. The other thing we thought about with a dark contrasting coping was to better define the pool (hopefully prevent some accidental slips into the pool from not seeing the water's edge in low light since the area is so tight (although my husband insists those would be hilarious). Now I am reading doing this contrasting with brick coping dates your pool. I've attached a pic of a pool who's colors are very similar to what we chose. Any opinions on if our pool will look straight out of 1990?

download.jpg

Any opinions on if our pool will look straight out of 1990?
Yes. You should spend upwards of $100k on a design that *i* like. While we are at it, how bout we store it at my house, so you don't have to look at my design all the time. I'm a great friend like that. 😁

You do YOU Doolie. 👍 You may choose if you see your design as 'retro', or as you leading the pack of 'whats old is new' again, before everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Either way......

It's only me and not my husband. He has 2 questions only...does it hold water? Can he drink a beer in it? If it's a yes for these 2 then it's perfect.
3f2.jpeg

This was actually the year I graduated high school. No wonder I think it's cool!
Omg. I had the same car in sparkly cobalt blue. I have second guessed every decision along the way of this pool process. I did zero research before hiring a PB and now am questioning every single decision along the way. I have decided to do things much different on my next pool. I had no idea kidney pools were out of style or even that rectangle pools gave you more space. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ Such is life right?!

Reactions: Doolie
I have dark kitchen cabinets. White is in. I’m keeping my cabinets dark because I like them. If someone down the road decides to change them, well that’s Their business. So moral of the story is do what you like, unless your intention is too sell it soon than do what is universally appealing. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder and when it comes to pools, the fact you got one will override aesthetics cause that can be changed.

Will it look dated (90’s) yes in my opinion it definitely will-I personally wouldn’t choose those finishes but I have a totally different style and preference (than a lot of people apparently) I am going with white tile and white mini pebble-go ahead and see how many are going that route! End of the day it’s my pool and I know what I like and if it isn’t popular for whatever reason owell-you like how brick coping looks then don’t let “style” keep you from doing it.

Anyone else having this issue now that building has begun? It's only me and not my husband. He has 2 questions only...does it hold water? Can he drink a beer in it? If it's a yes for these 2 then it's perfect. Our backyard is narrow so our pool is only 11'x28' rectangle and only 5 ft from the screened patio. When picking out pavers and coping we went with a sandy (bit of brown mixed in) paver and a brownish coping. We saw it on one on the PB's office pools and liked it. The other thing we thought about with a dark contrasting coping was to better define the pool (hopefully prevent some accidental slips into the pool from not seeing the water's edge in low light since the area is so tight (although my husband insists those would be hilarious). Now I am reading doing this contrasting with brick coping dates your pool. I've attached a pic of a pool who's colors are very similar to what we chose. Any opinions on if our pool will look straight out of 1990?

View attachment 392645
I think it will look good! To me it looks classic/timeless❤️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you like it, go for it. If you are hesitant, then I'd look up alternatives and see if any make you happier. The harder thing will be when you have to choose something else. Sometimes it works in your favor--the initial pavers we chose we later learned we could not get, but I learned to love the one that was actually available. It was so crazy with pavers at one point I was considering getting the paver we wanted but in 6-8 different colors because I couldn't get enough of the material in 2-3 shades (actually in retrospect mixing all the colors might've been really interesting). In another case--I compromised on a material change due to timing and even though our builder thought most wouldn’t notice, I knew it wasn’t right for me. It’s just a gut feeling of what works for each person.

Last edited:
I like contrasting colors but do think that solid color brown or red on the coping is a look from a bygone era. Multi-color brown/tan like OK flagstone is from this era (or has continued to be popular from then through until now) as is PA Bluestone, mostly grey but can also have brown mixed in.

I mostly agree with the "get what you want" philosophy, but if something is going to scream a different era from everyone else, be aware that your pool will look old to others. Some care, some don't. Today, a lot of people seem to care what others think about their personal choices and look for validation, i.e. social media. But that is different from picking something that is generally considered in current architectural trends.

The other thing to consider is if you are going with a theme that evokes a different ear by the pool, it works better if that scheme is consistent with the surrounding elements of the house/environment.

I like contrasting colors but do think that solid color brown or red on the coping is a look from a bygone era. Multi-color brown/tan like OK flagstone is from this era (or has continued to be popular from then through until now) as is PA Bluestone, mostly grey but can also have brown mixed in.

I mostly agree with the "get what you want" philosophy, but if something is going to scream a different era from everyone else, be aware that your pool will look old to others. Some care, some don't. Today, a lot of people seem to care what others think about their personal choices and look for validation, i.e. social media. But that is different from picking something that is generally considered in current architectural trends.

The other thing to consider is if you are going with a theme that evokes a different ear by the pool, it works better if that scheme is consistent with the surrounding elements of the house/environment.
Oh no! Is my coping out of style?! It’s just boring concrete! Looking on here there are so many beautiful options i never thought of!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.