Seasoned owner, new pool, can't get CL to rise with SWG

yubbie2

Bronze Supporter
Apr 1, 2017
Houston, TX
Hi TFP team.

I'm back after 6 months of construction - tore out the old 1975 concrete behemoth pool, and built the pool & spa of our dreams. We couldn't be happier, other than the long time it took to build :)

New pool is approx 25k gallons, plaster, cartridge filters, and my previously used Circupool RJ-60 SWG. The builder started it up about 40 days ago, and I've been waiting until now to get my SWG going so the plaster could cure. The builder got me going to good levels, I switched to liquid chlorine to carry me over until the plaster cured, and then we have had an insane amount of rain here in TX, so a decent portion of my water has likely been replaced. The pool swallowed up 4 gallons of 10% bleach without blinking, so I suspect my CYA just got nuked with the rain.

I started adding salt this past Tuesday, and added more on Wednesday - Salt readings with my Taylor kit (and on the Circupool) are around 3000/3100 ppm. Fired up the SWG on Tuesday, and it started generating Wednesday morning as I approached 2800ppm. I've had to top off my CYA as the rain diluted it, with the final bolus going in yesterday to bring me into the 50s (I'm pretty sure I was down in the 10's after the rain).

Taylor test kit with an independent verification from Leslies has me at the following:
FC: 0.5
CC: Trace, maybe 0.2?
pH: 7.2
TA: 80
CH: 220
CYA: 50
Phosphates: 4000 (first time seeing this as I've avoided Leslie's in the past like the plague)
Salt: 3000

Our pump has been running at full steam since I filled the pool a month ago, and my SWG has been at 100% capacity since Wednesday. I did a pseudo OCLT by testing FC first thing this morning before the sun came up, and even with pump & SWG running overnight, I'm only at 0.5 FC. I just can't get it any higher. There are 2-3 tiny algae spots in the pool, unsurprisingly, but they brush off easily.

Why can't I get FC higher? Is it the phosphates? Is my salt not high enough to effectively generate chlorine? Help me TPF, you're my only hope.

Last edited:
Raise the FC to target level using liquid chlorine.

Then do a OCLT at target FC with the SWCG off.

Phosphates are of no concern. The fact is, if you have had that much rain, there is no way you can have that level.

If you continue to wish to be concerned about phosphates, get your own Taylor test kit to measure them.

Please do not mix pool store test data with your own test data. The PS test data can just not be posted, we do not trust it.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Raise the FC to target level using liquid chlorine.

Then do a OCLT at target FC with the SWCG off.

Phosphates are of no concern. The fact is, if you have had that much rain, there is no way you can have that level.

If you continue to wish to be concerned about phosphates, get your own Taylor test kit to measure them.

Please do not mix pool store test data with your own test data. The PS test data can just not be posted, we do not trust it.
Understood. The test results were mine, plus one line from Leslie’s. I’m a 100% Taylor test kit user. I just wanted validation that I wasn’t losing my mind.

Having a little algae is like being a little pregnant. You either have algae or you don't.

Since you can see a couple of spots, I suggest that you go right to the SLAM process and take care of it while you are just a little pregnant. :mrgreen:

Either way, you should never try to go from zero FC to your target FC using the cell. Always make huge FC changes using liquid Chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88
When you have algae (which you already admitted you have), you will still probably LOSE FC every day, even at 100% SWG. (from the combination of UV and algae both, and depending on how low your CYA might be too). As stated above, you may have to SLAM, and focus on the SWG -after- you are sure the algae is gone and use it simply to maintain your FC level at that point.

I put in 2 gallons of 12.5% around dinner time last night. Pulled a sample an hour or two later.

OCLT:
Thursday night: 23.5
Friday morning: 6

How is that possible? How can I lose THAT much? No visible algae. I’ve never had a OCLT like that.

I say this at least twice monthly........ONLY two things consume chlorine........ Either UV from sunlight or from organics in your pool. The OCLT eliminates sunlight so you are left with an inescapable answer.

If your pool water looks perfect, there is a testing error.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Algae is only visible to some when the water turns green but to us with proper testing we can detect before hand just like what you have. Make sure the CYA level you have is that then slam as per the CYA ratio chart. We always recommend an OCLT before throwing other chemicals at the water only to find out there's algae thus complicating the slam as in your case it would have been easier with CYA of 30 but it is what it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.