Searching for skilled and honest replaster in Mesa, AZ

iom

May 30, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Five years ago I got hit by a crook. He chipped (i.e. destroyed) the pool and coverred it in plaster that looked like blotched mess from day one.
The plaster started cracking and delaminating within 2 years.
Do you know of someone who can replaster/repair the pool. Should the pool first be reskimmed with hydraulic cement and than re-plastered?
Where are honest contractors with skill and knowledge?
Please do not tell me to check Registrar of Contractors in Arizona - they are the biggest joke arround.

I am SO sorry this happened to you :( I am guessing he is out of business now?

I would check other people's backyards to find your next plaster job. Go stand around at the local pool store and ask people who come in who did their plaster and are they happy with it. After a while you will find the one name that stands out. You can also drive around and see who is having a pool built and ask the subs working that day who they would have plaster their pool! They all tend to know each other and can tell you who does good work.

Good luck! :hug:

Kim:kim:

I am SO sorry this happened to you :( I am guessing he is out of business now?

I would check other people's backyards to find your next plaster job. Go stand around at the local pool store and ask people who come in who did their plaster and are they happy with it. After a while you will find the one name that stands out. You can also drive around and see who is having a pool built and ask the subs working that day who they would have plaster their pool! They all tend to know each other and can tell you who does good work.

Good luck! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Thank you Kim.
The crook is still in business. The Registrar issued long lists of Corrections orders - all of which he ignorred. Of course he could not correct issues of which he had neither clue nor license for. Even the City of Mesa issued some 20 code violations that he ignorred too. Well, ignorred is not an accurate description - he attacked the chief inspector with bribery that he could not even make believable. Dept of Environmental Protection (as the arm of Federal EPA) found several serious violations in his performance and fined him. He paid the fines.
Advise to those who want to know - check Federal or local EPA for violations before you hire.
As the Registrar did not want to issue proper licenses for him - he simply bought two business which already had a license. A deplorable practice in Arizona where a crook launders himself into a business. Of course today - there is no sign that there ever was any complaint against him.

Thank you Kim.
The crook is still in business. The Registrar issued long lists of Corrections orders - all of which he ignorred. Of course he could not correct issues of which he had neither clue nor license for. Even the City of Mesa issued some 20 code violations that he ignorred too. Well, ignorred is not an accurate description - he attacked the chief inspector with bribery that he could not even make believable. Dept of Environmental Protection (as the arm of Federal EPA) found several serious violations in his performance and fined him. He paid the fines.
Advise to those who want to know - check Federal or local EPA for violations before you hire.
As the Registrar did not want to issue proper licenses for him - he simply bought two business which already had a license. A deplorable practice in Arizona where a crook launders himself into a business. Of course today - there is no sign that there ever was any complaint against him.

This goes to show to do your research BEFORE you hire someone.

I agree the AZROC is worthless protection. Friend had work done on a 2-story room addition. Halfway through the job the guy blows out of town ot Utah with the latest progress payment in his pocket. ROC says they will help reimburse the owner to make it right using bond money left in the Recover Fund (but not until a new contractor submits their bids to complete the work). Guess what? No reputable contractor wants to touch the mess left behind so no one would bid on it. ROC said too bad! He had to complete the work on his own and he found all kinds of mistakes like exposed electrical splices in the walls and a slab leak from an improper pipe repair where they clipped the hot water line with a jack hammer.

PO,
Let me know if you reach Michael. He recommended a guy to me a few years back that stripped a bad re-plaster job on my 30,000 gallon diving pool in Mesa. They took it all the way down to the concrete and resurfaced it in Pebble-tec with all new pool tile, updated drains, etc. That was 5 years ago and it still looked great when I sold it last November. I can't recall the name of the company (the receipts were in a box given to the new owners) but it was just under $7000 total and I think if I chose white regular plaster it would have been about $1200 less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.