Sealed Combustion Pool Heater

Poolnewb105

Apr 6, 2019
Ny
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations for a 200k btu sealed combustion pool heater. I realize this means there will normally be condensate issues.

The reason I'm asking isn't as much for efficiency, although that helps, but because mice have been building nests in my natural gas Raypak heater causing a dangerous situation.

I just installed a kit made by MK Rebar to mouse proof the heater but I still have my doubts. I'd much rather have a unit that has completely sealed combustion.

The only ones I've seen so far in this size are made by Lochinvar. However, the reviews are less than stellar.

Do you guys know of any high quality sealed combustion heaters? Thanks so much!

If you really want a sealed unit, Look at the Max-E-Therm, or the Master temp (same heater, different housing). Jandy makes one (Hi-E2) i would shy from that one. It gets enough problems not counting the rats...

Note: A sealed combustion chamber, while it will keep rats out of it, there is more to get into than that though. Rats will get into any heater unless you rat proof it
These guys have a good product.

If you really want a sealed unit, Look at the Max-E-Therm, or the Master temp (same heater, different housing). Jandy makes one (Hi-E2) i would shy from that one. It gets enough problems not counting the rats...

Note: A sealed combustion chamber, while it will keep rats out of it, there is more to get into than that though. Rats will get into any heater unless you rat proof it
These guys have a good product.
Thanks. I have their product installed on my current heater actually. Just put it on along with more than hardware cloth I purchased locally. Their kit only covers about half the heater which I was disappointed with for $80.

In any event, I was thinking about a lochinvar sealed combustion heater. It is 85% efficient so it's not condensing. Any experience with these? My HVAC friend said the company makes pretty high end stuff. Reviews are limited. Thanks.

Lochinvar heaters run very well... in the R&D lab where the environment is perfect. Just an observation...

Very good,
Very efficient,
Very expensive to buy.
Very expensive to repair.

With regard to the rat kit. Start at the bottom and work your way up till you run out of screens. Their thinking is that the rats can only climb up so far. Not sure if i'm on board with that.
I dont think Lockinvar heater enclosures are any less rat proof from the rest. But i have only seen those heaters at high end commercial jobs where rats cant afford to live.

Lochinvar heaters run very well... in the R&D lab where the environment is perfect. Just an observation...

Very good,
Very efficient,
Very expensive to buy.
Very expensive to repair.

With regard to the rat kit. Start at the bottom and work your way up till you run out of screens. Their thinking is that the rats can only climb up so far. Not sure if i'm on board with that.
I dont think Lockinvar heater enclosures are any less rat proof from the rest. But i have only seen those heaters at high end commercial jobs where rats cant afford to live.
This is true. I spoke with the company and they said the wires are in a sealed compartment and obviously the flame is in a sealed compartment so I think there is little risk of damage. The price difference between a new Raypak and the Lochinvar is about $500 so it's nothing crazy. See attached pictures for my hack job (Don't mind the snakes and mothballs. I'm desperate). For the record, we're having issues with mice, not rats.

Attachments

• 20190430_152047002.jpeg
    20190430_152047002.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 20
  • Resized_20190430_152037001_721.jpeg
    Resized_20190430_152037001_721.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Resized_20190429_154559001_293.jpeg
    Resized_20190429_154559001_293.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
If you want a good unit that is almost rat proof, the Jandy JXI units seem to fit the build. The are a more solid enclosed unit than the Sta Rite or the Raypak/Rheem units.

Lochinvar is a higher end commercial unit. I never see them on a residential set up. I would stick with something that is more recognized in order to be able to get support for if and when there is an issue with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The screens should lay pretty flat without using tape. If they are bulging when you run the screws in, back them off a tick. The tape may turn into a mess if you are going to run the heater for extended periods (jacket heating up), like if you are going to heat the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.